Chapter 23: ?

(a/n: just wanted to say that I added that el told max that she loves her back in the previous chapter because my dumbass forgot it, I think it was obvious but still, anyways I'll shut up)
*flashback*

Hopper's pov

I walked in the room and I saw that el and max weren't in there. I froze. I couldn't believe this. I immediately ran downstairs and told Joyce what happened. We both freaked out.

I was about to call max's mom but I got a call instead before. "Hello?" I said. "Chief! Is that you?" I heard a man speaking. It was Billy.

"yes it's me. I was just about to call I'm like freaking out right now I checked on max and el in the room and they aren't there when I heard the news about Neil" I said. "I know, we'll come over" Billy said. I could tell he was nervous too.

My daughter and her girlfriend had been kidnapped. I felt guilty. "No, I'll take care of it, I'll find them, I promise" I said. "Sir we can't we're her family" Billy angrily said.

"It's not safe Billy" I said. "I don't care can I come at least" Billy said as I heard his mom saying stuff in the background.

"Please.. we're both so nervous at the moment, please let at least one of us come" he said. "okay fine... tell your mom to calm down, I will find them I don't care I will do anything" I said. "okay.." he said and hung up.

I stared at the ground in disbelief. A tear slipped out. I was shocked. I wasn't expecting this. How could he escape? Joyce walked over to me. "we didn't know he would come and they were up there alone" I quietly said. "I know.. but we didn't know he would come, he freaking escaped and we need to find them" Joyce said as I grabbed my keys.

"I know... Its risky you come too Joyce" I said. She looked at me in disbelief. "Are you serious? I don't give a shit, you know el is like my daughter too. And I care about max too" Joyce said. I mentally slapped myself for saying that.

"yeah I'm so sorry" I said. "it's fine, let's just go" she said. The cops were busy trying to find Neil as I was about to search for max and el.

*flashback ends*

El's pov (now)

Max was unconscious. I was crying so hard. Some other cops took Neil and arrested him. I didn't give a shit about Neil in that moment. All I cared about was max. Neil shot her. On the stomach..

She was losing a lot of blood, we didn't know if she could make it. We were impatiently waiting for the ambulance. Hopper, Billy and Joyce came to find us.

I love her so much.. I couldn't lose her. I just can't. I started sobbing uncontrollably. After I shook her bunch of times, she wouldn't wake up...my heart was so broken. I didn't want to lose her. Hopper checked her pulse, he was shocked. I looked at him and realised...I was sobbing so much and hard that I started shaking uncontrollably.

Hopper was doing cpr on her. I was praying she would wake up. "I'm gonna kill that guy who drives the ambulance!! Why is are they  taking so long" Billy yelled annoyed.

Joyce was holding me tight as I cried hard looking at max, holding her unconscious hand praying she wakes up. "No.. Please" I cried out. Joyce was caressing my hair in comfort but nothing could comfort me in that moment.. Nothing at all.

We did everything, I at least knew that when someone's losing blood you tie a clothing around the wound. But she wouldn't wake up. Hopper was still doing cpr.

After like half a minute that felt like hours finally she woke up. She gasped for air. "max.. Oh thank god" I said, still crying but relieved she was okay. She choked, trying to breathe. I rubbed her back and held her hand. I was trying to calm my breathing too.

"You're okay now.. you're okay" I whispered trying to calm her down. She looked at me. "I'm.. I'm-okay please don't cry" she slowly said breathing heavily looking at me. I was still crying. "You literally stopped breathing max... you expect us to be calm" Billy said as max turned to him.

"Billy" hopper said. "sorry" Billy quietly said. She groaned in pain. "it hurts... so bad" max whined holding her stomach. "Goddammit the ambulance must not know where this stupid cabin that is in the woods by itself" hopper said.

"screw the ambulance we're going to the hospital" Billy said. We all looked at him. "no not the hospital" max quietly said. I frowned. Is she serious? Billy and max made eye contact.

"you can't be serious max of course we're going to the hospital you just got shot and you're fucking bleeding! Hopper might have saved you but you're still losing a lot of blood so you could faint or die at any moment" Billy angrily and nervously exclaimed.

"Billy!! Obviously we'll go to the hospital so shut up! Yelling doesn't fix your anxiety, we are all stressed and you're not helping" hopper angrily said looking at Billy. Billy didn't say anything, realising he's right. 

I was holding max as were still on the ground. I made the move to pick her up so we can go to the car but Billy stopped me. "hey, I'll pick her up" Billy said as I nodded.

We got in the car. "Where's Neil?" max asked as we let her lay on us in the car. "The cops arrested him" I said. She slowly nodded. "Where's mom" max asked. She was so tired she could barely talk.

She tried to talk about but no words came out. She was struggling. "shh don't talk if it's hard I promise we will answer any question when you're okay, okay?" I said. She smiled at slightly. I smiled back and kissed her forehead.

*later at the hospital*

We went to the emergency. The nurses immediately took max. They didn't let us get in with her no matter how much we tried to convince them. "I know you're pretty anxious at the moment, but we need to check up on her and we'll inform you as soon as possible" the nurse said looking at hopper. Hopper sighed and nodded giving up.

1091 words. To be continued..