Chapter 88: Homophobia

Max's pov

"It's probably nothing max" el said. I nodded and we continued walking. "should we go to that cafe near the school? We still have some time until hopper and your mom comes to pick us up " el suggested. I nodded. "yeah sure" I said.

After about 2 minutes we arrived at the small cafe. A few people from our school were there. I mean obviously since that cafe is practically next to our school.

They gave us dirty looks as soon as we walked in. We've been getting that a lot since they all found out about us. They may feel bad about what happened to el but their homophobia doesn't stop. Everyone is still homophobic.

"hello, I would like two milkshakes please. The one is vanilla and the other chocolate as usual" I ordered. They basically know us or most people who come here daily since its a small town.

The girl who works there is usually nice to everyone, even to us. But now she's not. I frowned. "Are you gonna order or..?" I asked confused trying not to sound ironic.

She just sighed and took the order without speaking. El and I looked at each other confused. "is everything okay?" el asked the girl. She was about 2 years older than us. Nancy knows her

So that's why we just have simple small talks such as "how are you?" etc as we were ordering for example. But now it has changed. I realised why. Everyone now knows

Not only people at school. The news go around. "Yeah, I'm just disappointed" the girl said still ordering. "Because we're gay?" I asked not ashamed. She didn't say anything. She just put her hand out in order for us to give her the money to pay.

I glared at her. I grabbed El's hand and left the cafe. "what are you doing?" el asked. "No way I'm giving my money to that stupid cafe with homophobic people again" I said.

"You're right, I wasn't expecting her to be rude. I thought she was nice" el said as we were walking away from the care. "We can go somewhere else" el said.

I stopped walking. "where?" I asked. "benny's burgers" el said smirking. "It's a bit far but we can walk if you want?" el asked. I smirked. "hell yeah let's go" I said. She squeezed my hand, smiled and we started walking. (a/n: let's pretend that benny didn't die)

"I've got a question max, I want you to be honest" el suddenly said as we were walking in silence, our hands interwined

"what is it?" I asked. "Have you ever been like.. Embarrased of me somehow?" she asked. I stopped walking and frowned.

"what? Why would I be embarrassed of you love?" I asked slightly annoyed by the question. Why would she think that?

"I don't know, cause I'm like a weirdo, the quiet kid. I-I don't understand things fast, I don't know maybe you do and you're just afraid to hurt my feelings. Sorry I'm just over thinking-" el said.

"woah woah no el, I'm not embarrassed of you in any way and I've never been. You're not a weirdo, those who call you that are stupid. They don't know what they're talking about. You're so special, they can't see that. Let's be for real, they're jealous. I'm not kidding, because you're pretty and a good student" I said.

"I'm not a good student" she said. "You always do your homework-" I started saying counting with my fingers. "You're paying attention to class, listening to the teachers, bring your books all the time-" I said. "I'm not smart. But you're making effort to do that. You're trying but they don't" I said.

She smiled and looked down. I lifted her chin up gently. "Don't say that again" I softly said. "Even now? Aren't you like embarrassed of me? That everyone is giving us dirty looks because you're dating me?" el asked. I frowned again.