Chapter 4. Wendigo

Dean's POV

It's been a week since Jess' death and we stuck around for a little while to look for the monster that did it. But we came up with nothing, so we decided to make our way to Blackwater Ridge. We pull to a stop at a gas station and Sam sighs as he looks over the map.

"It's weird guys." Sam exclaims as I finish putting gas into the car. "What's weird Sammy?" Ana ask as she leans forward, putting her arms on the seat. "These co-ordinates dad left us. This Blackwater Ridge." He replies. "What about it?" I ask as I get back into the car and Ana leans her head on my shoulder making me smile.

"There's nothing there. It's just woods." Sams says as he sets the map down and looks around. "Why is he sending us to the middle of nowhere?" He asks in confusion as Ana and I shrug before we get back on the road.

******

Eventually, we park next to a sign that says, RANGER STATION Lost Creek Trail, Lost Creek National Forest. The three of us walk inside the ranger station, Sam and Ana look at a 3D map of the forest as I look at the decorations.

"So Blackwater Ridge is pretty remote. It's cut off by these canyons here, rough terrain, dense forest, abandoned silver and gold mines all over." I hear Ana say to Sam. "Guys, check out the size of this freaking bear." I say to the two who walk over and look at the picture I'm currently staring at.

"And a dozen or so more grizzlies in the area." Sam mutters. "It's no nature hike, that's for sure." Ana remarks making my lips tilt up at her sarcasm.

"You three ain't planning on going out near Blackwater Ridge are you?" A male voice asks, startling all three of us. We turn to see a male ranger standing behind us, a look of suspicion on his face. "Oh, no sir." Ana says, smiling softly as I look at her.

I like her saying sir.

"We're environmental study majors from UC boulder, just working on a paper." Sam continues. "Recycle man." I say, raising a fist and Ana and Sam chuckle at me. "Bull. You're friends with that Haley girl, right?" That ranger asks and Ana answers for us. "Yes. Yes we are ranger uh..." She glances down at his name badge. "Wilkinson." She finishes.

"Well, I will you tell you exactly what I told her. Her brother filled out backcountry permit sting he wouldn't be back from Blackwater until the 24th, so it's not exactly a missing person now, is it?" Wilkinson says and we all nod. "You tell that girl to stop worrying. I'm sure her brothers just fine." He tells us and I nod. "We will."

"Yeah, that Haley girl's quite a pistol, huh?" I ask and see Ana glaring at me. "That's putting it mildly." Wilkinson grumbles. "Actually, you know what would help us is if I could show her a copy of that permit. You know, so she can see her brothers return date." I say as Wilkinson eyes me and I raise my eyebrows at him.

******

I hold a piece of paper and laugh as we leave the station and head back to the impala. "What are you cruising for a hookup or something?" Sam asks and I see Ana roll her eyes, looking annoyed.

"What'd you mean?" I ask confused. "The coordinates point to Blackwater Ridge, so what are we waiting for? Let's just go find dad. I mean, why even talk to this girl?" Sam asks annoyed as we stop at the impala.

"I don't know, maybe we should know what were walking into before we actually walk into it?" I ask and there's a pause of silence. "What?" Sam asks confused. "Since when are you all shoot first, ask questions later?" Ana asks, frowning at him.

Normally, he's not like this. Me and Ana are because it's all we know. Dad brought us up like that and Anas dad made my dad promise he bring her up as a hunter. But Sam...no, he's the innocent one. But now, he's going all Rambo.