Chapter 63. Maggie

Deans POV

We didn't actually leave because we knew that the ghost was going to do something, so we stayed behind, but hid from Susan. We came back just as she was staring at a swingset, which begins to move on its own.

She approaches the playground cautiously; all the playsets start moving and we hear her car, behind her, starting up. She lays her hand on the teeter-totter to stop it while we get out of the car and Sam starts to run.

Everything starts moving faster and then suddenly the car revs its engine and comes straight at her. At the last moment Sam tackles Susan out of the way just as Ana and I get to them.

"Are you okay?" Sam asks Susan. "I think so." She says quietly. "Come on, come on. Let's get inside, let's go." I order and Sam helps her inside the inn before we guide her to the bar and to a table.

"Whiskey." Susan says breathlessly. "Sure. I know the feeling." Sam says as Ana pours her a glass. "What the hell happened out there?" Susan asks us. "You want the truth?" Ana asks her. "Of course." She nods as the three of us exchange a look before I speak.

"Well, at first we thought it was some sort of hoodoo curse, but that out there? That was definitely a spirit." I tell her as Ana hands her the glass of whiskey. "Here." She says as she sits down next to me. "You're insane." Susan tells us and Ana chuckles. "Yeah, it's been said."

"Look, I'm sorry Susan. We don't exactly have time to ease you into this, but we need to know when your mother had a stroke." Sam says to her. "What does that have to do with any-" Susan asks but Sam talks over her. "Just answer the question." He says and she thinks.

"About a month ago." She replies. "Right before the killings began." Ana points out and Sam turns to me. "See? So what if Rose was working hoodoo, but not to hurt anyone. To protect them." Sam says to me. "She was using the five point urns to ward off the spirit." I say. "Right, until she had a stroke and couldn't anymore." Ana adds as Susan looks between us confused. "I don't believe this." She mutters.

"Look, sister, that car didn't try to run you down by itself, okay? I mean, I guess it did, technically, but...but the spirit can- forget it." I say to her before Ana interrupts me. "Look, believe what you want. But the fact is you and your family are in danger, alright? So you need to clear everybody out of here: your employees, your mother, your daughters, everyone." She says.

"Um, I only have one daughter." Susan tells Ana who looks at her confused. "I saw two girls. A little blonde girl called Maggie playing with Tyler." Ana says as me and Sam look a each other before looking back at Ana. "Maggie's imaginary." Susan tells her and Ana looks away.

"Where's Tyler?" Ana asks her and Susan gives us a terrified and worried look.

******

Susan leads up to the room with all those dolls. "Tyler!" Susan yells as we go into the room, only to see the entire floor is littered with broken dolls. "Oh my god. Tyler!" Susan yells again as she runs out of the room. "Tyler!" She yells as we look around the room. "She's not here." Susan says panicked as she runs back in.

"Susan. Tell us what you know about Maggie." Sam says to her, as calmly as he could. "Uh, not much. Uh, Tyler's been talking to her ever since mom got sick." Susan replies. "Okay, did you ever know anyone by that name?" Ana asks her. "Uh, no..." Susan shakes her head.

"Think, think, I mean, somebody that could have lived here, might have passed away?" I ask and Susan's eyes widen. "Oh my god. My mom. My mom has a sister named Margret. She barely spoke about her." She tells us.

"Did Margret happen to die here when she was a kid?" Sam asks her. "She drowned in the pool." Susan tells us. "Come on." Ana tells us as she runs out of the room then we run out of the building.

We run through the gardens to the pool house and reach the door. Ana goes to open it but it's locked. "Damn it!" She exclaims as me and Sam start pounding on the glass to try and break it.

"Tyler!" Susan shouts as we keep pounding on the door. "Tyler!" She shouts again before we hear a scream. "Is there another entrance?" Ana asks her. "Around the back." She says before she takes off.

Sam looks around and grabs a heavy pot. "Stand back." He tells us and we move back as he starts pounding on the door. He does this for a few moments before he finally breaks the glass and Ana wriggles through the opening.

Without hesitation, Ana leaps over the railing and into the pool as me and Sam squeeze through the gap. She pushes past the plastic covering the pool to reach Tyler, lifting her up and she's unconscious.

Sam helps Ana get her out of the pool just as Susan runs in and they set Tyler on the edge of the pool. Susan starts to gasp tearfully as all of us look at Tyler worried when she starts to cough and wake up.

"Thank God! Thank god, thank god." Susan say in frantic tears, while Tyler looks at her. "Mommy!" She cries and Susan goes to hug her. "Yeah, baby I'm here." She tells her. "Tyler, do you see Maggie anywhere?" Sam asks her as her and Ana look around. "No, she's gone." She says.

******

Later, we make it back to the hotel and Susan holds Tyler close to her as we walk up towards Rose's room. "Don't worry, honey, we're leaving in two minutes, we've got to get grandma." Susan tells Tyler as the three of us stay back.

"I don't get it, did Maggie just stop?" I ask confused. "Seems like it." Sam says. "Well, where the hell did she go?" I ask but before they could reply, we hear a scream coming from Rose's room.

The three of us share a worried look and go running up to Rose's room to find her slumped in her wheelchair, dead. "Maggie." Ana whispers as she looks at something near the window.

******

Minutes later, paramedics came by and did some tests on Rose before the coroner came and took her away. Susan was talking with them before she walks over to us. "Paramedics said it was another stroke. Do you think...Margaret could have had something to do with it?" She asks us.

"We don't know." I shrug, looking at Ana. "But it's possible, yeah." Sam tells her. "Susan, I'm sorry." Ana says softly. "You don't have anything to apologise for. You've given me everything." Susan says just as Tyler comes out of the house.

"Ready to go, kiddo?" Susan asks her. "Yeah." Tyler replies. "Now Tyler, you're sure Maggie's not around anymore?" I ask her and she nods. "I'm sure. I'd see her." She tells me.

"I guess whatever's going on must be over." Sam says as we walk over to the taxi near us, and Sam holds the door open for Susan. "You two take care of yourselves, alright?" He tells her.

Before getting in the taxi, Susan turns and gives Sam a full body hug and Ana and I smirk at each other. "Thank you. All three of you." She says before she gets in the taxi then Sam shuts the door behind her.

"Think you could have hooked up some milf action there bud." I say as Sam scoffs and Ana snorts. "I'm serious, I think she liked you." I tell him. "Yeah, that's all she needs." Sam grumbles. "Well, you saved the mom, Ana saved the girl. Not a bad day. Course you know, I could have saved 'em myself, but I didn't want you to feel useless." I tease and Sam scoffs. "Alright, I appreciate it." He says and Ana chuckles.

"Feels good getting back in the saddle doesn't it?" I ask him. "Yeah, it does. But it doesn't change what we talked about last night, Dean." Sam says.

"We talked about a lot of things last night." I say, feigning ignorance. "You know what I mean." Sam says as he gives us a knowing look. "You were wasted." Ana points out. "But you two weren't. And you promised, Dean." Sam says and we all share a look before climbing into the Impala and driving away from the inn.