Chapter 59. Get Out While You Still Can

Deans POV

Mark peeks through the shades on the window, cautiously. Sam pulls out a hunting knife and checks the blade as Ana and I load a gun. In the lab we hear a few things crash and break then Pete and Pam scream.

"Oh God! Is there any on me?" Pam shouts as we look over and see they dropped some vials of blood. "Are we okay?" Pete asks as Lee looks them over. "You're clean, you guys are okay." She assured them. "Why are we staying here?" Pete asks angrily. "Please, let's just go!" Pam says tearfully. "No, we can't, because those things are everywhere." I say and Pam begins sinking down and Pete kneels down to his sister.

"Oh God..." she cries and Pete hugs his sister. "Hey, Shh, Shh." He assures her as Sam looks at me and Ana. "She's right about one thing. We can't stay here. We gotta get out of here, get to the Roadhouse? Somewhere. Let people know what's coming." He says quietly. "Yeah, good point. Night of the Living Dead didn't exactly end pretty." I say.

"Well, I'm not sure we've got a choice. Lots of folks up here are good with rifles- even with all your hardware we're...we're easy targets. So unless you've got some explosives..." Mark says as Sam glances up at a shelf of medical supplies.

"We could make some." Sam says as he goes up to the shelf and takes down a bottle of potassium chloride. Just then, someone starts pounding frantically on the front door and we run out.

"Hey! Let me in, let me in! Please!" A voice shouts, frantically. "It's Duane Tanner!" Mark says and he opens the door and lets Duane in. He has a backpack and is limping. "Thank God." Duane says relieved. "Duane, you okay?" Mark asks him as I turn to Ana and Sam.

"That's the guy that I uh..." I say then click my tongue. "Yeah." Ana and Sam reply. "Who else is in here?" Duane asks as he starts to walk to the back but I grab his arm. "Hey, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, easy there, chief. Hey doc! Give Duane a good once over, would you?" I say and Lee nods as she leads us back to the lab.

"Pam? Pete?" Lee calls out as Duane looks at me. "Who are you?" He asks. "Never mind who I am." I say as I turn to Lee. "Doc." I say and Lee nods. "Yeah, okay." She says as she looks him over.

"Duane. Where have you been?" Mark asks him. "On a fishing trip up by Roslyn. I came back this afternoon. I...I saw Roger McGill being dragged out of his house by people we know! They started cutting him with knives! I ran, I've been hiding in the woods ever since." Duane says as he looks around at all of us. "Has anyone seen my mom or dad?" He asks and I turn to Ana and Sam. "Awkward..." I say in an attempt joking tone.

******

Duane is sitting on a stool, his left leg has a deep gash in it. "You're bleeding." Lee points out. "Where'd you get that?" Ana asks him. "I was running, I must have tripped." Duane says. "Tie him up, there's rope in there." I say and Duane looks around in panic.

"Wait..." He says but I pull my gun on him. "Sit down!" I order and Duane looks at mark. "I'm sorry, Duane, he's right. We've got to be careful." Mark tells him. "Careful? About what?" Duane asks.

"Did they bleed on you?" I ask him. "No, what the hell? No!" Duane exclaims. "Doc? Anyway to know for sure, any test?" Sam asks Lee. "I've studied Beverly's blood work backwards and forwards." Lee says and Duane looks at her. "My mom!" He exclaims.

"It took three hours for the virus to incubate. The sulphur didn't appear in the blood until then, so...no, there'd be no way of knowing. Not until after Duane turns." Lee says and Sam looks at me. "Dean, I gotta talk to you. Now." He says and I glance at Mark who nods.

Sam gestures for Ana to follow us and we leave the lab. "This is our vision, Dean. It's happening." Sam says and Ana nods. "Yeah, I figured." I say. "You can't kill him, alright? Not yet. We don't know if he's infected or not." Ana tells me. "Well, I think we're pretty damn sure. Guy shows up out of nowhere, he's got a cut on his leg, his whole family's infected?" I say suspiciously.