Chapter 91. Can't Save Everybody*

Deans POV

Later, we're driving along in the car with the radio going, talking about the incoming weather. But then I turn it off. "Do you wanna say it or should I?" I ask Ana and Sam. "What?" They say in unison. "You can't save everybody guys." I say.

"Yeah, right, so-so what, you feel better now or what?" Ana asks me. "No, not really baby." I tell her. "Me neither." She says. "Same here." Sam mutters. "You gotta understand-" I start to say until Sam talks over me. "It's just lately, I feel like I can't save anybody." He says and Ana frowns at him.

******

Outside the house we're staying in, Ana and Sam are reading while I'm on my phone as there's a knock at the door. Ana sets her book down and walks over to the door, peeking through the peephole. Her face drops into a glare as she looks back at us before she opens the door. "Dear god, are you actually squatting?" Bela asks as she walks in, uninvited.

"Please, come on in." Ana says sarcastically as she closes the door. "So, how'd things go last night with Peter?" Bela asks and we don't answer her. "That well, huh?" She says. "If you say I told you so, I swear to god I'll start swinging." I growl at her. "Look, I think the four of us should have a heart to heart." She tells us. "You don't have a heart Bela." Ana says as she walks past her and over to me.

"Ana, please...I'm sorry about what I said before, okay? I come bearing gifts." Bela says as I wrap my arm around Ana's waist. "Such as?" Sam asks. "I've I.D'd the ship." She tells us as she holds a file in her hands.

Then she pulls out a picture from that file and hands it to Sam. "It's the Espírito Santo, a merchant sailing vessel, quite a colourful history. In 1859 a sailor was accused of treason. He was tried aboard a ship in a kangaroo court and hanged. He was 37." She explains.

"Which would explain the 37 year cycle." Sam says. "Aren't you a sharp tack?" Bela says making Sam glare at her. "I have of photo of him somewhere...here." She pulls out another photo with a few men standing on the deck of a ship.

"Isn't that the customer we saw last night?" I ask as I point at a man who's standing prominently. "You saw him?" Bela asks us. "Yeah, that's him, except he was missing a hand." Ana says.

"His right hand?" Bela asks. "How'd you know?" Sam asks. "The sailors body was cremated, but not before they cut off his hand to make a hand of glory." Bela explains. "A hand of glory - hey, baby, I think you gave me one of them last week." I say to Ana who glares at me. "Dean, the right hand of a hanged man is a serious cult object and is very powerful." Sam tells me.

"So they say." Bela mutters. "And officially counts as remains." Ana says. "But still, none of this explains why the ghost is choosing these people." Sam says. "I'll tell you why, who cares? Find the hand, burn it and stop the bloody thing." Bela says.

"I don't get it. Why are you telling us all of this?" I ask her. "Because I know exactly where the hand is." She replies. "Where?" Ana asks. "At the Sea Pines Museum. It's a carp bit of maritime history. But I need help." She tells us. "What kind of help?" Sam asks and she smirks.

******

Later, I'm waiting in the living room for Ana; no one else is here. Sam and Bela have already left to get Gert and head to the museum. I look at myself in the long mirror, feeling weird being in a Tux.

"Ana. We gotta go!" I yell up to her as I fix my bowtie and hear footsteps coming down the stairs. I turn my head and my eyes widen as I see Ana walking down in a figure-hugging silk black dress, that also has a thigh split that goes right up to her bikini line. Her hair is dead straight, the fronts tucked behind her ears that have silver hoops in. She has on light makeup but it makes her emerald green eyes stand out. Her lips are painted in a mated red lipstick making her lips appear bigger and her pearly white teeth stand out.