Chapter 16. Bugs

Deans POV

Ana and Sam are reading the newspaper as I walk outside, laughing, waving a wad of cash in the air. "You know, we could get day jobs once in a while." Sam remarks. "Hunting's our day job. And the pat is crap." I reply. "Ain't that the truth." Ana mumbles as she keeps reading. "Yeah, but hustling pool? Credit card scams? It's not the most honest thing in the world, guys." Sam says.

"Well, let's see honest." I say as I hold out one hand. "Fun and easy." I hold out my other hand and gesture fun and easy outweighs honest. "It's no contest. Besides, we're good at it. It's what we were raised to do." I tell Sam.

"Yeah, well, how we were raised was Jacked." Sam grumbles. "Yeah, says you." I say before I look at Ana who is still reading. "We got a new gig or what?" I ask her. "Maybe. Oasis Plains, Oklahoma - not far from here. A gas company employee, Dustin Burwash, supposedly died from Creutzfeldt-Jakob." She says and I look at her confused.

"Human mad cow disease." Sam clears up. "Mad cow. Wasn't that on Oprah?" I ask and Ana raises her eyebrows at me. "Since when do you watch Oprah?" She asks and I give her a look of embarrassment, my mind going blank. "So this guy eats a bad burger. Why is it our kind of thing?" I ask, changing the subject.

"Max cow disease causes massive brain degeneration. It takes months, even years, for damage to appear. But this guy Dustin? Sounds like his brain disintegrated in a hour. Maybe less." Sam explains as I nod.

"Okay, that's weird." I say. "Yeah. Now, it could be a disease. Or it could be something much nastier." Ana adds. "Alright, Oklahoma." I nod as we walk to the car. "Man. Work, work, work. No time to spend my money." I grumble as Ana chuckles. "Ahh, my poor baby." She teases and I glare at her.

******

I pull up to the gas and power company and we get out of the car as we see a man standing outside. "Travis Weaver?" Ana calls and he turns to us. "Yeah, that's right." He says looking at us confused. "Are you the Travis that worked with uncle Dusty?" I ask him.

"Dustin never mentioned nephews or a niece." Travis says. "Oh, I'm actually his girlfriend." Ana says as she tangles her fingers mine. I look at her as she gives me a small smile before looking back at Travis. "Anyways, their uncle always mentioned you. He said you were the greatest." Ana continues.

"Oh, he did? Huh." Travis says as I squeeze Ana's hand. She squeezes back as a small smile tugs at my lips. "Listen we wanted to ask you... what exactly happened out there?" I ask him and he looks down for a moment. "I'm not sure. He fell into a sinkhole, I went to the truck to get some rope, uh...by the time I got back..." He stops and swallows.

"What did you see?" Ana asks him. "Nothin'. Just Dustin." Travis replies as he looks up at us. "No wounds or anything?" Sam asks. "Well, he was bleeding....from his eyes, and his ears, his nose. But that's it." Travis replies as he looks between us.

"So you think it be this whole mad cow thing?" Ana asks him, curiously. "I don't know. That's what the doctors are saying." Travis shrugs. "But if it was, he would've acted strange beforehand, like dementia, loss of motor control. You ever notice anything like that?" Sam asks. "No. No way. But then again, if it wasn't some disease, what the hell was it?" Travis asks as he looks between us.

"That's a good question." I say. "You know, can you tell us where this happened?" Sam asks as he walks up to Travis. "Yeah." Travis nods.

******

A while later, we arrive at the scene of Dustin's death. The sinkhole is surrounded by police tape.  "Huh. What'd you think?" I ask them as we look at the sinkhole. "I don't know. But if that guy, Travis, was right, it happened pretty damn fast." Sam says as we duck under the police tape and look into the hole with a flashlight.