Chapter 29. Humans Are The Best Hunt

Deans POV

"Hey, officer? Look, we didn't mean to press our luck." I say to Kathleen as we walk back to her car, the three of us holding a cup of coffee. "Both of your lucks are so pressed." She informs us. "Right. Look, we were wondering- why are you helping us out, anyway? Why don't you just lock us both up?" Sam asks her.

"My brother, Riley, disappeared three years ago. A lot like Ana. We searched for him, but- nothing. I know what it's like to feel responsible for someone, and for them-" she replies then sighs as she looks at us. "Come on. Let's keep at it." She says as she gets in the car and Sam and I followed her.

******

Later, we are driving by a forest when I say. "Wait, wait, wait- pull over here. Pull over." I tell Kathleen and she pulls over and we get out of the car and walk towards the forest. "It's the first turn off we've seen so far." I say and Sam looks at me. "Good eye."

"You two stay here. I'll check it out." Kathleen says as she starts to walk down the turn off. "No way." Sam and I say. "Hey." She says firmly, and we stop walking. "Both of you are civilians. And felons, I think. I am not taking you two with me." She says. "You're not going without us." Sam tell her and she sighs. "Alright. You two promise you won't get involved? You'll let me handle it?" She asks and we nod. "Promise." We say in unison. "Shake on it." She extends her hand. I shake it as she places a set of cuffs on my wrist.

"Oh, come on!" I exclaim as Sam says. "Hey!" As she cuffs him with a second pair of cuffs. She handcuffs me to the drivers door and Sam to the back door. "This is ridiculous. Kathleen, I really think you're gonna need your help." I say she walks away. "I'll manage. Thank you." She says as she locks the door and walks away.

"I really need to start carrying paperclips." I mutter as sam starts to dig in his pockets. "Well, lucky for you, I always carry a hairpin with me for Ana." He says as he digs around. "Oh, really? Why?" I ask him. "Well...awkward story. She's been handcuffed before." He says quickly. "Excuse me?" I ask, looking at him over my shoulder baffled.

Who the hell handcuffed her?

"Talk to her about it, Dean. Ah! There it is!" Sam says as he pulls the hairpin out of his pants pocket and starts to unlock his cuff. He gets his cuff unlocked just as we hear the screech of a pick up truck. "Oh, son of a bitch." I mutter as Sam starts to unlock my handcuffs.

He gets it unlocked and we run away from the car and head into the turn off. As we walk around the property, we can see a lot of abandoned vehicles and notice the plates are from different places in America. Then we notice a barn behind the house and we head inside.

We enter the barn and look around in disgust as we notice the cages. Then I see Ana in a cage and I gasp. "Ana?" Sam and I say and she sighs in relief. "Are you hurt?" I ask her as we run up to the cage. "No." She says and me and Sam smile at her.

"Damn, it's good to see you sweetheart." I say relieved. "How did you two get out of the cuffs?" Kathleen's voice asks. We turn around and see her in another cage. "Oh, we know a trick or two." Sam tells her and she stares at us confused. "Alright." I mutter and we move to the door of the cage and see the locks, which are basically the automatic type. "Oh, these locks look like they're going to be a bitch." I grumble.

"Well, there is some kind of automatic control right there." Ana says as she points to a control panel. "Have you seen 'em?" Sam asks her. "Yeah. Guys, they're just people." Ana says as we walk over to the control panel. "And they jumped you? Must be getting a little rusty there, sweetheart." I say as I start trying different buttons.

"What do they want?" Sam asks her. "I don't know. They let Jenkins go, but that was some sort of trap. It doesn't make any sense to me." Ana replies. "Well, that's the point. You know, with our usual play mates, there's rules, there's patterns. But with people, they're just crazy." I says and Sam nods in agreement.