Chapter 10. Bloody Mary

Deans POV

"Sam, wake up." Ana says to Sam, leaning back to shake his shoulder as he fidgets in the backseat. Sam wakes up confused, then sits up and looks around, seeing we're in front of a large building. "I take it I was having a nightmare." He says to Ana who nods.

"Yeah, another one." She says with worry. "Hey, at least I got some sleep." Sam says in a sarcastic tone making me sigh and Ana roll her eyes. "You know sooner or later, we're gonna have to talk about this." I tell him.

"Are we here?" He asks instead of answering me. "Yup. Welcome to Toledo, Ohio." Ana says as Sam picks up a paper with a man named Steven Shoemaker's obituary circled. "So what do you guys think really happened to this guy?" He asks us. "That's what we're here to find out." I tell him as I start to get out of the car as the other two follow me.

******

We head into room 144, which is marked 'THE MORGUE'. Inside, there are two desks, the empty one has a nameplate that reads Dr. D Feiklowicz. The other one has morgue technician. "Hey." The tech says to us. "Hey." I reply.

"Can I help you?" The tech asks. "Yeah. We're med students." Ana answers him, quickly. "I'm sorry?" He asks in confusion. "Oh, Dr Feiklowicz didn't tell you? We talked to him on the phone. We're from Ohio State. He's supposed to show us the Shoemakers corpse. It's for our paper." Ana tells him. "Well, I'm sorry, he's at lunch." The tech informs us.

"Oh well he said, uh-oh, well, you know, it doesn't matter. You don't mind just showing us the body, do you?" I ask him. "Sorry, I can't." The tech shakes his head. "Doc will back in an hour. You can wait for him if you want."

"An hour? Ooh. We gotta be heading back to Columbus by then." I sigh. "Yeah." Sam nods but the tech still doesn't move or say anything. "Uh, look, man, this paper's like half our grade, so if you don't mind helping us out-" I start to say but the technician shakes his head. "Uh, look, man....no."

I laugh a little before turning round to face Ana. "I'm gonna hit him in the face, I swear." I mumble to her and she nods. "I'll hold him down for you before it's my turn." She mumbles and I smirk. "That's my girl." I whisper and she winks.

Sam steps in front of us as I turn back around, opening his wallet and pulls out some twenties. He laid a few of them, at least five, down on the technicians death. The guy picks up the money. "Follow me." He gets up and leave.

I grab Sam when he goes to follow. "Dude, I earned that money." I grumble and Sam rolls his eyes. "You won it in a poker game." He says. "Yeah." I say like it's obvious. He shakes his head, rolling his eyes again and starts to follow the technician.

"Now the newspaper said his daughter found him. She said his eyes were bleeding." Sam says as the technician pulls back the sheet that was covering Steven. "More than that. They were practically liquefied." The tech tells us. "Was there any sign of a struggle? Maybe someone did it to him?" I ask. "Nope. Besides the daughter, he was all alone." The tech informs us.

"What's the official cause of death?" Ana asks curiously. "Ah, Docs not sure. He's thinking massive stroke, maybe an aneurysm? Something burst up in there, that's for sure." He says. "What do you mean?" Sam asks. "Intense cerebral bleeding. This guy had more blood in his skull than anyone I've ever seen." The tech says and we all look at him baffled and confused.

"His eyes were mashed? And what would cause something like that?" Ana asks. "Capillaries can burst. See a lot of bloodshot eyes with stroke victims." The tech replies. "Yeah? You ever see exploding eyeballs?" I ask him. "That's a first for me, but hey, I'm not the doctor." The tech shrugs.