Chapter 118. Eye Of The Tiger

Deans POV

"Agent Tyler, Agent Perry, Agent Kramer, meet Frank O'Brien." The coroner says to me, Ana and Sam as he opens up a body bag. "He died of a heart attack, right?" Sam asks him. "Three days ago." The coroner says nodding. "But O'Brien was 44 years and, according to this, a marathon runner." Ana says as she looks through the man's file.

"Everybody drops dead sooner or later. It's why I got job security." The coroner says. "Yeah, but Frank here kicked it. Now, just yesterday, two perfectly healthy men bit it in Maumee. All heart attacks, you don't think that's strange?" I ask. "Sounds like Maumee's problem to me." The coroner responds then he looks between us.

"Why's the FBI give a damn, anyway?" He asks us. "We just want to see the results of Frank's autopsy." Ana tells him. "What autopsy?" He asks and the three of exchange a look. "The one you're gonna do." I tell him.

Moments later, the coroner cuts open the dead body but then looks between the three of us. "First dead body?" He asks us. "Far from it." I say as Ana and Sam shake their heads. "Oh, good. Because these suckers can get pretty ripe." The coroner says then he looks at me.

"Hey, hand me those rib cutters, would you?" He asks. I pick up the cutters and hand them to him as Sam and Ana share a look. The coroner cuts open the ribs while Sam keeps himself from squirming when Ana furrows her eyebrows at something.

"Is that from a wedding ring? I didn't think Frank was married." She says. "Ain't my department." The coroner says. "Wasn't talking to you but okay." Ana says as I hold back my smirk. "Any idea how he got these?" Sam asks him as he picks up Frank's arm, which is full of scratches.

"You know what? When you drop dead, you actually tend to drop. Body probably got a bit scraped up when it hit the ground." The coroner says, sounding a bit annoyed of our questioning, then he looks into the body. "Huh!" He says confused.

"What?" Sam asks. "I-I can't find any blockages in any of the major arteries." The coroner tells us as he breaks of the heart while I try not to be sick. "Heart looks pretty damn healthy." He says then he hands the heart to me. "Hold than a second, would you?" He asks me and I see Sam smirking as Ana looks at the coroner like he's nuts.

I glare at Sam as the coroner cuts something making blood spurt out and hits Sam in the face as Ana moves out the way. "Oh, sorry. Spleen juice." The coroner apologises as I smirk at Sam and Ana snorts. "Got have fast reflexes Sam." She tells him and he side eyes her.

******

After all that mess, the three of us are sitting down in front of the deputy's desk, waiting. The deputy smiles at Ana as I glare at him just as the Sheriff opens his door. "Hells bells Linus, have you seen my..." he stops when he notices us. "Who are they?" He asks as the three of us stand up.

"Federal Agents. I, uh..." Linus says but the Sheriff speaks up. "And you kept them waiting?" He asks and Linus looks taken aback. "You-you said not to disturb." Linus says as the Sheriff turns to the three of us. "Come on back, guys." He says and we walk over to his office but he stops us.

"Shoes off." He says and the three of us share a look before we take our shoes off and walk onto the office. "Al Britton. Good to meet you." He says as he shakes our hands. "You too." Sam says as the Sheriff gestures for us to sit down. "Thank you." Ana says as we take a seat. Britton takes out alcohol gel and starts slathering his hands. I look at Ana and Sam as they look at me.