Chapter 71. Trickster*

Deans POV

"Cops didn't release the of death 'cause they had no clue what the cause was." I explain to Bobby. "So, we checked it ourselves." Sam says.

Flashback*

After opening the window to a building, Sam crawls through the window first. "Hey." I say and I toss him a flashlight, then climb through myself and help Ana through before closing the window behind us.

I open a body drawer and shine the light through, grimacing. "Well, this oughta be quick." I say as we slide the drawer out and gingerly peel off the bloody blanket, revealing extremely mangled remains.

"Okay, that is just nasty." Ana says disgusted, as Sam holds his hand to his mouth and nose. "Uh, yeah." He says, speaking muffled while trying not to breathe through his nose. "Mutilated?" I say. "Looks to me like something was hungry." Ana says.

"They identify him yet?" I ask. "Yeah, uh, a research scientist at the college. Guess where his office was, by the way. Crawford Hall, same as the professor." Sam tells us. "That's right where the frat boy had his close encounter." I point out. "Yeah. Hey, grab me that thing, would you?" Sam asks and I slide a magnifying light over to Sam, who peers through it at the corpse. "Thanks." He says as he looks through it.

"What is it?" Ana asks. "Looks like a...a belly scale?" Sam says confused. "A belly scale? From what?" Ana asks. "Uh...an alligator." Sam replies and me and Ana look at him confused.

"An alligator in the sewer. Come on." I say. "What? Well, Dean, it's a classic urban legend. A kid flushes a baby gator down the toilet, and it grows huge in the tunnels." Sam says. "But no one's ever really found one. I mean, they're- they're not real." Ana says. "Well, neither's alien abduction, but something chomped on this guy." Sam says and I shake my head.

"This couldn't get any weirder." I mutter. "Maybe we should get some help. I'll call Bobby. Maybe he's run into something like this before." Sam tells us. "Oh, I'm sure he has. Just your typical haunted campus, alien abduction, alligator-in-the-sewer gig. Yeah, it's simple." I say with sarcasm.

*

"We decided to check the sewer anyway, so we split up, each taking one end of the campus." Ana tells Bobby. "D'you find anything?" Bobby asks. "Yeah, I found something, just not in the sewer." I tell him.

*

I emerge from the sewer and enter the alley where the impala is parked. All four tyres are flat. "Son of a bitch!" I exclaim know anger. I circle the car and see a money clip on the ground, engraved with Sam's initials. "Sam!" I growl.

******

I make it back to the motel where Sam and Ana are reading books. "You think this is funny Sam?" I ask him angrily and he looks up at me, confused. "It depends. What?" He asks. "Th-th-th-the car!" I exclaim.

"What about the car?" Sam asks as Ana looks between us, that cute little confused look on her face. "You can't let the air out of the tyres, you idiot! You're gonna bend the rims!" I yell. "Whoa, wait a minute. I didn't go near your car." He says, getting up angry.

"Oh yeah? Huh. Then how'd I find this?" I ask as I hold up his money clip. Sam pats his pockets as he stands up. "Hey. Give me back my money!" He demands. "Oh, no, no. Consider it reparations. For, uh, emotional trauma." I say as Sam comes up to me.

"Yeah, very funny. Now, give it back." He says as he reaches for it. "No." I say firmly as I hold the money clip away from him. "Guys, c'mon!" Ana says annoyed.