Chapter 47. Rakshasas*

Deans POV

Later, after getting these red Cooper Carnival jackets, the three of us spread out on the grounds and, surreptitiously, scan around the with our EMF meters. I just got off the phone with Sam, telling him that maybe the ghost isn't attached to an object but it's remains and walk to where he told me he was.

"What took you so long?" Sam asks as I come up to him and Ana. "Long story." I reply. "Mommy, look at the clown!" A little girls voice says and we look over to see her pointing at something. "What clown?" The mom asks and we look to where she's pointing and see nothing. "Come on, sweetie, come on." The mom says as she drags her away while the three of us share a look.

******

That night, we're on a stakeout outside the family's home. "Dean, I cannot believe you told Papazian about the homicidal phantom clown." Ana exclaims, referring to the blind man. "I told him an urban legend about a homicidal phantom clown. I never said it was real." I say as I pull out a gun and cock it.

Sam grabs it and pushes my hands down. "Keep that down!" He tells me and I scoff. "Oh, and get this. I mentioned the Bunkers Brothers Circus in '81 and their, uh, evil clown apocalypse? Guess what." I say. "What?" Ana and Sam ask. "Before Mr Cooper owned Cooper Carnival, he worked for Bunker Brothers. He was their lot manager." I tell them.

"So you think the spirits attached to him? Cooper just brought it with him?" Ana asks. "Something like that." I say before I shake my head and sigh. "I can't believe we keep talking about clowns." I mutter.

******

Later that night, I feel someone shake me awake and I look at Sam. "Clown." He says and we jump out of the car as we see a clown walking towards the house.

We run towards the house and enter inside. Then we come up to a hallway and see the little girl taking the clown towards the back. Sam leaps out and grabs the girl, who starts screaming, as Ana and I shoot the clown in the chest. It falls on its back, then gets back up as Ana and I cock our guns again.

"Sam, watch out!" I shout as the clown leaps out of the window, turning invisible as it runs away. The parents come rushing down the stairs and scream at us, as Sam let's go of the girl and we run out of the house.

******

The next morning, we pull the mini van off the side of the road and start digging out our belongings, including the license plate. "You really think they saw our plates?" Sam asks. "I don't wanna take the chance. Besides, I hate this frigging thing anyway." I say as we start walking down the road.

"Well, one thing's for sure." Ana says. "What's that?" Sam asks. "We're not dealing with a spirit. I mean, that rock salt hit something solid." She replies. "Yeah, a person? Or a creature that can make itself invisible?" Sam asks. "Yeah, and dresses up like a clown for kicks? Did it say anything in dads journal?" I ask. "Nope." Sam says as he clears his throat and pulls out his cellphone.

"Who are you calling?" Ana asks him. "Maybe Ellen or that guy Ash'll know something. Hey, you think, uh, you think dad and Ellen ever had a thing?" He asks. "No way." Ana and I reply.

"Then why didn't he tell us about her?" Sam asks. "I don't know, maybe they had some sort of falling out." I shrug. "Yeah. You ever notice dad had a falling out with just about everybody?" Sam says and me and Ana nod, casually.

Moments later, Sam lowers the phone. "Well, don't get all maudlin on me, man." He says to me. "What do you mean?" I ask him. "I mean this strong silent thing of yours, it's crap." He replies and I groan. "Here we go." Ana mumbles.