Chapter 5. The Mines

Deans POV

Next morning.

"I don't....I mean, these types of things, they ain't supposed to be real." Haley stammers after I explained what we do while Sam flips through dads journal as Ana sits on a log, and makes a shank.

"I wish I could tell you different." I tell her. "How do we know it's not out there watching us?" She asks shakily. "We don't. But we're safe here for now." Ana speaks up, not looking at us. "How do you guys know about this stuff?" Haley asks as she looks between me and Ana.

"Runs in the family." We say in unison and we smile at each other as Sam walks over to us. "Hey. So we've got half a chance in daylight. And I for one, want to kill this evil son of a bitch." Sam grumbles. "Well, hell, you know I'm in." I tell him and we look at Ana. "I'm down." She finishes her shank.

Sam shows Haley and Ben the drawing of the Wendigo on the page in dads journal. "Wendigo is a Cree Indian word. It means evil that devours." Sam explains. "They're hundreds of years old. Each one was once a man. Sometimes an Indian or other times a frontiersman or a miner or hunter." Ana adds and I smirk.

That woman has got a photographic memory, I swear.

"How does a man turn into one of those things?" Haley asks a I pick up a couple of things on the ground. "Well, it's always the same. During some harsh winter a guy finds himself starving, cut off from supplies or help. Becomes a cannibal to survive, eating other members of his tribe or camp." I explain. "Like the Donner Party." Ben speaks up and we look at him.

"Cultures all over the world believe that eating human flesh gives a person certain abilities. Speed, strength, immortality." Sam adds before Ana speaks up. "If you eat enough of it, over the years, you become less than human. You're always hungry."

"So if that's true, how can Tommy still be alive?" Haley asks as she looks at us. "You're not gonna like it." I tell her before I look at Ana then Sam then Haley. "Tell me." She says shakily. "More than anything, a Wendigo knows how to last long winters without food. It hibernates for years at a time, but when it's awake, it keeps it's victims alive. It, uh, it stores them, so it can feed whenever it wants. If your brothers alive, it's keeping him somewhere dark, hidden and safe. We gotta track it back there." I explain and a horrified look crosses her face.

"And then how do we stop it?" She asks. "Well, guns are useless so are knives. Basically-" I start to say as I hold up a can of lighter fluid, a beer bottle, and a white cloth I picked up. "We gotta torch the sucker." I finish.

Minutes later, I lead the way through the woods. Ana, Sam, Haley and Ben follow behind me as we pass tress with claw marks slashed into them and blood. Ana keeps ahold of the Molotov.

******

"Dean. Ana." Sam calls us as he leads now. Ana and I catch up to him. "What is it?" Ana asks him. Then we looks around at the trees, there is bloody claw marks and broken branches everywhere. "You know, I was thinking, those claw marks, so clear and distinct. They were almost to easy to follow." Sam says as growling sounds out.

The three of us whip around as the trees rustle. Haley is standing under a tree when blood drips on her shirt. She notices and looks up before leaping out of the way. Roy's corpse lands where she stood and we move over and examine his body. Sam walks over to Haley. "You okay? You got it?" He asks her and she nods.

"His neck is broke." Ana tells them as more growling starts up. "Okay. Run, run, run, run! Go, go, go!" I shout and we take of running in all different directions. I run with Haley for a few minutes before we stop as the Wendigo stands in front of us and Haley screams as it starts to move towards us.