Chapter 70. Tell Tales

Deans POV

Sam and Ana are sitting at the table, looking through books, when Sam rubs his face tiredly. I sit on the bed behind them, listening to the radio and eating chilli cheese fries. "Dude. You mind not eating those on MY bed?" Sam asks annoyed. "No, I don't mind." I say as I continue to eat.

"How's research going?" I ask them and Sam sighs in annoyance. "You know how it's going? Slow. You know how it would go a heck of a lot faster? If Ana and I had our computers." He shouts at me and I nod sarcastically.

"Dean, can you turn that down please?" Ana asks, gesturing towards the radio. "Yeah, absolutely." I say and turn the music up louder when a shoe flies out of no where and hits me in the face. "Ow!" I exclaim looking at Ana who's glaring at me.

"You deserved that." She tells me as she looks back at her book. "You know what? Maybe, uh, maybe you should just go somewhere for a while." Sam says as I shut off the radio and look up, snappish. "Hey, I'd love to. That's a great idea. Unfortunately, my car's all screwed to hell." I say as I glare at him. "Dean, I told you I have nothing to do wi-" he starts to explain when there's a knock at the door.

Ana stands up and goes to door, looking through the peephole and then back at us as she opens the door. "Hey, Bobby." Ana says as Bobby comes through the door, pressing a kiss to her cheek. "Hey, Ana. Boys." He greets as Sam and I approach. "Hey, Bobby." We greet.

"It's good to see you again so soon." Bobby tells us. "Yeah, uh, thanks for coming. Come on in." Sam says as I shake Bobby's hand, firmly. "Thank God you're here." I tell him. "So um, what didn't you want to talk to me on the phone about?" Bobby asks. "It's this job we're working. We- we weren't sure you'd believe us." Ana says and Bobby scoffs. "Well, I can believe a lot."

"Yeah, no, no, it's just, we've never seen anything like it-" Sam as Ana shakes her head. "Not even close." I say. "And we thought we could use some fresh eyes." Ana says and Bobby looks between us. "Well, why don't you begin at the beginning?" He asks.

"Yeah, alright." Sam says as he gestures to the bed. Bobby picks up an empty takeout tray and peers at it, sets it aside, and sits down. "So, it all started when we caught wind of an obit. See, a professor took a nosedive from a fourth story window, only there's a campus legend that the building's haunted. So we pretexted as reporters from the local paper." Sam begins to explain.

Sam's flashback*

I'm sitting at a table with a stocky jock boy, Curtis and an attractive girl, Jen. I set a voice recorder down on the table before I begin the interview. "Yeah, we both had the professor for ethics and morality."

"Yeah? So why do you think he did it?" I ask them. "Who knows? I mean, he was tenured, wife and kids. His book is a really big deal. Then again..." Jen says as she leans in conspiratorially. "Who's to say it was suicide?" She asks, making her friend scoff. "Jen, come on." Curtis says.

"Well, what else could it be?" I ask, feigning surprise. "Well, you know about Crawford Hall?" Jen asks me. "No, I don't actually." I reply. "It's a bunch of crap, it's a total urban legend." Curtis says. "Yeah well, Heather's mom went to school here, and she knew the girl." Jen says as I look between the kids.

"Wait, what girl?" I ask. "Thirty years ago, this girl was having an affair with some professor. He broke it off, she jumped out the window and killed herself." Jen replies. "You know her name?" I ask. "No. But they say she jumped from room six-six-nine. Get it? You turn the nine upside down?" Jen says snickering as I nod and Curtis laughs.

"So now she haunts the building. And anyone who sees her? They don't love to tell the tale." Jen explains. "Well, If no one loves to tell the tale, then how does the tale get told?" Curtis asks. "Curtis! Shut up!" Jen yells.