Chapter 38. Dead Man's Blood

Deans POV

"Well guys. Not a decent lead in all of Nebraska. What've you got?" I ask Ana and Sam after I fold the newspaper up while we sit in a diner. "Well, I've been scanning Wyoming, Colorado, South Dakota. Here. A woman in Iowa fell 10,000 feet from an airplane and survived." Sam says. "Sounds more like 'That's Incredible' than 'Twilight Zone'." Ana says. "Yeah." Sam nods as I smirk.

"Hey, you know we could just keep heading east. New York. Upstate. We could drop by and see Sarah again. Huh? Cool chick, smoking." I say as Ana glares at me. "You're smoking, too, baby." I say and she rolls her eyes.

"You two seemed pretty friendly. What do you say?" I ask. "Yeah, I dunno, maybe someday. But in the meantime, we got a lot of work to do, Dean, and you know that." Sam says to me. "Yeah, alright. What else you got?" I ask.

"Ahh, a man in Colorado, local man named Daniel Elkins, was found mauled in his home." Sam says and Anas head shot up as she looks at Sam. "Daniel Elkins is dead?" She asks shocked and the two of us look at her. "You know him?" Sam asks and she nods. "Yeah, his is, or was, a hunter. He taught your dad and John introduced me to him." She says.

"What happened to him?" She asks and Sam looks back at his laptop. "Well...sounds like the police don't know what to think. At first they said it was some sort of bear attack and now, they've found some signs of robbery." He replies as Ana starts to get up. "Well, let's go then." She says and me and Sam follow behind her to the Impala.

******

After driving through the snow capped mountains, we come up to this cabin and run to the door. Sam starts to pick the lock and opens it while Ana and I hold up flashlights. Inside, it looks like a fight broke out as things were thrown across the floor and things were knocked down as well. 

"Looks like the maid didn't come today." I joke as Ana looks down at the door and sees a familiar white substance. "Hey, there's salt over here. Right beside the door." She points out and Sam looks over at it. "You mean protection against demon salt or oops, I spilled the popcorn salt?" I ask.

"Oh ha, ha." Ana says sarcastically. "It's clearly a ring." Sam says as they walk over to me and I flip through a journal. "That looks a hell of a lot like dads." Sam says. "Yep, except this dates back to the sixties." I say before we move over  to another room and shine our flashlights around, including up at the hole in the ceiling.

"Whatever attacked him, it looks like there was more than one." Sam says. "Looks like he put up a hell of fight, too." Ana says sadly as she looks around. "Yeah." Sam agrees as he gives her a worried look. She looks at him and nods, letting him know she's okay before I crouch to get a closer look at the floor.

"You got something?" Ana asks me. "I dunno. Some scratches on the floor." I tell her. "Death throes maybe?" Sam suggests, shrugging. "Yeah, maybe." I say as I grab a page from the notebook, placing it over the mark and rub a pencil over it to get an outline. "Or maybe a message."

I peel up the page then hand it to Ana and Sam. "Look familiar?" I ask. "Three letters, six digits. The location and combination of a post office box. It's a small drop." Sam says. "Just the way dad does it." I say.

******

After going to the post office and getting a letter, we sit in the impala and look at the envelope. "J.W. You think John Winchester?" Sam asks us. "I don't know. Should we open it?" I ask just as there's a sudden knock on my window.

I gasp, rearing back, and automatically raise my arm, fist clenched while Sam and Ana jump as we look out the window. It's dad. When dad sees he has shocked us, he smiles.