Chapter 48. Bloodlust

Deans POV

"Whoo! Listen to her purr! Have you ever heard anything so sweet?" I ask Ana and Sam as we roar down the road in the newly fixed Impala. "You know, if you two wanna get a room, just let me and Ana know, Dean." Sam teases as Ana leans on the back seat and laughs.

"Oh, don't listen to him, baby. He doesn't understand us." I say as Ana rolls her eyes but chuckles. "You're in a good mood." Sam points out.

"Why shouldn't I be?" I ask. "No reason." Sam says. "Got my car, got my girl, got a case, things are looking up." I say. "Wow. Give you a couple of severed heads and a pile of dead cows, and you're Mister Sunshine." Ana says and I laugh.

"How far to the red lodge?" I ask them. "Uh, about another three hundred miles." Sam says. "Good." I say as I floor it.

******

"The murder investigation is on going and that's all I can share with the press at this time." The officer of Red Lodge says to the three of us. "Sure, sure, we understand that, but just for the record, you found the first, uh, head last week, correct?" Sam asks and the sheriff nods.

"Okay, and the other, a uh, Christina Flanigan..." Ana says. "That was two days ago. Is there-" The sheriff says but then there's a knock at the door and he looks up and nods.

"Oh. Sorry, time's up, we're done here." He says. "One last question-" Sam says but I talk over him. "Yeah, what about the cattle?" I ask and the sheriff looks at us, shocked. "Excuse me?"

"You know, the cows found dead, split open, drained....over a dozen cases." I say to him. "What about them?" The sheriff asks.

"So you don't think there's a connection?" Ana asks him. "Connection...with...?" The sheriff says confused. "First cattle mutilations, now two murders? Kinda sounds like ritual stuff." Sam says. "You know, like satanic cult ritual stuff?" I say and the man begins to laugh but realises our serious faces.

"You-you're not kidding." He says stunned. "No, we're not." Ana tells him. "Those cows aren't being mutilated. You wanna know how I know?" He says to us. "How?" Sam asks. "Because there's no such thing as cattle mutilation. Cows drop, leave it in the sun, within forty eight hours they bloat'll split open so clean it's about surgical. The bodily fluids fall down into the ground and get soaked up because that's what gravity does. But, hey, it could be Satan. What newspaper did you say you work for?" The sheriff asks and the three of us share a look.

"World Weekly News."

"Weekly World News."

"World-"

"Weekly- I'm new." I say to him as we give the sheriff a nervous look. "Get out of my office." The sheriff growls at us.

******

The three of us enter the morgue, still wearing our shirts and ties with some white lab coats over us. The intern on duty is sitting at a a desk and I look him over before I approach the man. "John." He says and the man stands up quickly. "Jeff." The man corrects. "Jeff. I know that." I laugh.

"Dr Dworkin needs to see you in his office right away." I tell him. "But Dr Dworkin's on vacation." Jeff says, confused. "Well, he's back. And he's pissed, and he's screaming for you, man, so if I were you I would..." I say before I whistle and Jeff runs away.

"Okay." He mutters and we go towards the lockers where they keep the bodies. "Hey, those satanists in Florida, they marked their victims, didn't they?" I ask them. "Yeah, reversed pentacle on the forehead." Sam replies. "Yeah. So much fucked up crap happens in Florida." I mutter as I hand Ana and Sam a couple of latex gloves and put on a pair of my own.