Chapter 101: First Snow

"Let's not tell anyone." Mochou said on the way back to the house.

"Tell anyone about what?"

"About how it's two Goji Berries." Mochou whispered.

"Why? It's worth celebrating."

"If something happens it would be even more of a devastating loss."

"You're being negative again." Yichen pointed out to Mochou.

"Sorry." Mochou replied. He was really trying to be more positive but it was oddly difficult.

"Was I always this negative?" Mochou wondered as he tried to recall his past behaviour.

"We don't have to tell anyone but I need to stop by my parent's place to talk to Yi Ming."

"Do we have to?" Mochou said with a furrowed brow.

"You can't avoid the baby forever."

"Every time I go over your mom shoves the baby into my arms."

"She wants you to get used to dealing with babies."

"Sorry, I can't get used to babies. I'm desperately hoping it will be different with our Little Goji Berry no, that's wrong, it's Goji Berries, now..." Mochou stopped talking and took a deep breath.

"Yichen, things will be different with our Goji Berries, right? I shouldn't be scared or nauseous when I hold them like I am with your nephew. They are our babies so it will be different. It has to be different." Mochou continued to muttered. His voice trembling as he spoke.

"Are you scared and nauseous right now?"

"Thinking of the future I'm a little scared, but thankfully the morning sickness is gone. Why do you ask? What does it have to do with what we were talking about?"

"Well, to be a little literal you're already holding our Little Goji Berries." Yichen said.

"What?"

"You're worried about how you will feel when you hold our babies. I'm telling you that right now you are already holding our babies."

"That's..."

"I know it's not what you meant. However I want you to try and think of it that way. If you do hopefully when the babies are born you won't be nervous. I want you to feel comfortable enough with the babies that you won't shake uncontrollably when you hold them like you do with my nephew." Yichen explained as he placed his hands on Mochou's stomach.

Mochou had to admit his reasoning was well thought out and strangely comforting. He looked down at his belly and felt more at ease considering the situation.

"That helps, but I still prefer not going to your parents place." Mochou said.

"I'll drop you off at home first."

...

Mochou woke up in the middle of the night. They had started sleeping in the kang room now that the weather had cooled. Mochou liked the bed but midway through the night it would get cold and Yichen would have to wake up to stoke the fire. Yichen was very diligent about keeping the bed warm but tonight Mochou caught a chill and woke up.

Feeling cold he thought about waking Yichen up. He turned to wake him when he noticed something moving outside the window. He shifted closer to the window to have a better look.

"It's snow!" Mochou exclaimed happily. He always loved the snow. When he was a child snow meant a fun day playing outside. When he was older it meant money. He could always make some extra money shovelling snow for other people. Now he wasn't sure what snow meant but he was happy to see it.