Chapter 109: Extended Vacation

The storm was severe. It lasted all night and most of the next day. The thick blanket of snow was beautiful. Unfortunately, it made things difficult to even step out the door of the inn.

Yichen was worried the road home would be worse. With money no longer being an issue they stayed at the inn not one but two more nights. The days were filled with relaxation and fun.

"Do you think things at the village are okay?" Mochou asked as they slowly moved through the deep snow. If they didn't have the carriage and ox they never would have been able to reach the village.

"The snow might be deep but my father must have arranged for the roads to be shovelled. Although reaching our house might still be difficult. We are the only ones that live in that area."

"What about your brother? He was supposed to give the animals food and water. If the snow is this deep..."

"He might be a little upset with us for being gone longer than planned but he wouldn't neglect helping us." Yichen said.

Before they left, Yichen asked his youngest brother to check on the house and their animals. He knew he could trust him to keep it a secret from their parents. At least, that's what he hoped. Being gone for five instead of three days worried him.  The chances his mother tried to go over during that time greatly increased.

"I hope Yi Xuan was able to keep mom away from our house." He silently thought as they continued on their way.

...

"Yichen!!!!"

His mother shouted as she ran towards the carriage. Not even the knee high snow could stop her. Yichen pulled back on the reins to stop the ox.

"How dare you put my grandchildren at risk!" She continued to shout her face reddened by rage.

"Mom, I would never put my children or spouse at risk." Yichen defended but his mother wasn't convinced.

"Any man who puts his pregnant spouse on a carriage and runs off to travel is a fool. When pregnant the most important thing for a woman and GER is to remain at home to rest and prepare to give birth." She rebuked angrily.

Yichen climbed down from the carriage to talk to his mother. He had hoped to avoid this conversation but that turned out to be impossible.

"Mom, Mochou has never been able to leave the village. I wanted to..."

"What does that matter! His only job is to give birth to your children. Not travel around killing two more of your children!"

"Mother!"

Yichen was furious that his mother insinuation that he had killed their Little Grape and was trying to kill their Little Goji Berries. He didn't care to listen to his mother anymore longer. He grabbed the ox' rope and started leading it towards the largest gate. It was the only one large enough to fit the carriage.

"Where are you going? Don't walk away when I am speaking to you." His mother continued to chastise him but Yichen ignored her.

Once the carriage was safely brought into the yard Yichen took his mother's hand and pulled her out of the yard.

"Let go! Where are you taking me?"

"Mom, you need to leave." Yichen said through clenched teeth.

"Leave? I'm not going anywhere until we sit down and have a proper discussion about what your spouse can and can not be allowed to do."

"Get out before I lose my temper." Yichen stated his hand tightening around his mother's wrist.

His mother looked at her son in shock. She didn't expect him to look at her with such anger. Realizing Yichen was serious she stopped talking and obediently walked out of the yard.