Chapter 142: Surviving in the Apocalypse

After breakfast, Mochou reviewed the use of his compound bow and the rules Yichen would have to remember while on the mission.

"Out there we are a team. We need to watch each others backs and everyone needs to support each other. You can't only focus on me." Mochou explained.

"I'll try."

"You'll be with me working as a sniper and lookout. Our position is on the jeeps modified roof. From there we will watch for and shoot down any approaching zombies. We'll also need to warn the others in case a higher level zombie appears."

"There are different levels?" Yichen asked.

"Yes, the higher level ones are more dangerous. They are less clumsy, a lot faster, and smarter. If we see one we either need to kill it right away or run depending on the situation."

"Kill it... How do you kill a zombie?"

"Sorry, I should have explained that to you first. Zombies can only be killed when the brain has been crushed or pierced. It won't be easy but you'll have to shoot them in the head. I know we haven't practiced hitting a moving target much not to mention how difficult it is hitting a target that looks human. Especially the ones that are fresher. But if we are going to survive in this world you'll need to do it." Mochou explained.

"I'll try my best."

"Also, under no circumstance can you let them scratch or bite you. If they do you'll become a mindless zombie."

"You'll become one of them if you're scratched or bitten?! How can you put yourself at risk fighting them?" Yichen asked in shock.

"I told you. To survive in this world we have to fight. We can't hide away because it's dangerous. The zombies are attracted to humans. If we just hid behind the settlement walls we'd be surrounded by them and under siege. By hunting them we reduce their numbers and gain a better understanding of the situation." Mochou explained.

"I get that but I can't help but worry about you."

"Don't worry. I'll be by your side the entire time on top of the jeep. It's far from the zombies. In fact, if the zombies reach us it means everyone else has died." Mochou explained.

...

After a long discussion about the dangers and what to expect when they go on the mission Yichen and Mochou left the apartment. When they got downstairs they met up with the other members of Mochou's team.

"Everyone let me introduce you to my husband Yichen. Yichen this is the team that has helped me survive in this apocalypse." Mochou announced.

Everyone looked at him with some confusion. They couldn't understand how Mochou found a husband they had never met only days after he confessed his love to Fei Long. From what Mochou could gather he had not only gone back to the apocalypse but he also returned to before meeting the man that killed him Zi Ruo.

Quian Duo understood their confusion. He also had a hard time believing what Mochou had told him. That's why he stepped in to explain things on Mochou's behalf.

"Strange how love at first sight can lead you to a whirlwind marriage. We're all glad you found your soulmate." He said.

"It's nice to meet everyone. Mochou has told me wonderful things." Yichen said despite only getting a quick summary from Mochou at breakfast. The group was still confused but decided to accept the explanation because Mochou looked happy and they all knew how hard it was for him to find love. Everyone except Fei Long. With arms crossed and a stern look on his face he walked up to Yichen.

"How did you meet?"

"I saw him out hunting and gathering food. Just one look at his eyes and I knew he was my soulmate." Yichen said as he placed his arm around Mochou's waist.