Chapter 124: Conflicted

"Yichen, I'm not feeling well." Mochou suddenly announced the moment he entered the room.

Right away Yichen dropped everything in his arms and rushed over to Mochou's side. He raised his hand and gently touched his forehead.

"You definitely have a fever. When did you start feeling unwell?" Yichen questioned with sincere worry.

"I don't know..."

"Is it just the fever? Any aches or pains?" Yichen asked him. He grabbed Mochou's wrist as he questioned him to check his pulse.

"My body feels heavy and I'm a little cold." Mochou explained. Yichen tried to remain calm as he checked Mochou's pulse, throat, and temperature.

"It's probably a cold but... I'm worried the twins might catch it. Can you stay home to take care of them today?" Mochou asked.

Since two weeks ago Yichen had started going to the clinic to work for Doctor Yen again. He would have preferred staying home with the babies but his mother had started meddling again. To show her that they had everything under control Yichen chose to go back to work a few days a week.

Mochou was fine with the arrangement because the twins had settled into a predictable routine. As long as they kept to the schedule they were easy to manage even if he was alone.

"Don't worry about the babies. Do you have a sore throat?" Yichen asked as he continued to check his condition.

"A little."

"I'll go make your medicine."

"Make sure you wash your hands before checking on the babies. I don't want them catching my cold." Mochou warned.

"I'll be careful." Yichen said. He securely tucked Mochou back into bed before slipping out to prepare his medication.

"Wear your mask when you come back."

"I don't think it's necessary."

"We can't take any chances. I'm already sick. If you get sick too, no one will be able to take care of our Goji Berries. We need to take extra precautions."

"I'm very healthy. I won't get sick." Yichen confidently said.

"Don't take this the wrong way but healthy or not I want you to wear a mask and wash your hands often. In fact bring a basin of water and put it by our bedroom door so you can wash your hands before and after you check on me." Mochou stubbornly insisted.

"Okay dear." Yichen said. He then leaned in planning to give Mochou a soft kiss on the forehead. Mochou however had other plans. He raised his arms to stop him.

"You're not allowed to kiss me until my cold is gone."

"Not even on the forehead?" Yichen asked with a pitiful look.

"No." Mochou exclaimed before turning over and hiding under the quilt.

...

Later that afternoon Yichen returned to check on Mochou.

"Mochou, how are you feeling?"

"Cough* cough... Not great." Mochou said with a hoarse dry throat.

"I brought you some soup. Do you think you can..."

"Stop! Cough... cough... Where's your mask?"

"Mochou I..."

"Do you want to deal with sick babies again? Cough... I don't. Not after what happened when they had colic." Mochou said.

"The twins won't get sick and neither will I." Yichen said. But Mochou threw a pillow at him in response. He expertly dodged the pillow without spilling a drop of soup. He then put the tray down further away and dug the mask out of his sleeve and put it on.