Chapter 112: Mu

Mochou stared at the midwife that came in to help change his bandages. He was in too much pain before to really think about it. But this was the first time he could talk with another GER. Curious, he looked at him and compared himself to the old GER.

"It's not like GERs look like women. They are obviously more similar to men but GERs have softer facial features and are smaller in stature. " he mused.

"Is there something you wish to ask me?" Midwife Lu asked.

"Sorry, I was just wondering how life has treated you."

"What do you mean?" He asked Mochou.

"Well, we're both GERs. My own life hasn't been great because of my identity as a GER. So, I was wondering if my experience is rare or if perhaps you've also struggled."

"Are you concerned your GER child will have a difficult life?" Midwife Lu asked in a soft understanding voice.

"I don't doubt my husband and I will do our best to give our little GER a wonderful life but we can't protect him from the world forever."

"I won't lie and say life for a GER is easy. But from what I know concerning your past I can assure you such acts of abuse are uncommon. Most GERs may find it difficult to marry a spouse or make a living for themselves but if they are loved by their family and lucky enough to find a loving spouse like us they can live a happy life." Midwife Lu calmly explained.

"Having to pin my little GER's happiness on his future husband isn't exactly reassuring. But I suppose it's nice knowing the whole world won't be aiming all their hatred at him." Mochou thought.

While he considered the future, midwife Lu finished tending to his stomach. Once he was done he gave Mochou some medicinal tea to drink. It tasted disgusting but if it would help reduce the pain and accelerate his healing Mochou was willing to drink it.

...

When Yichen finally returned to the room with the babies he found Mochou asleep.

"Midwife Lu how is he?"

"He is healing well." Midwife Lu responded with a smile.

"That's good. Midwife Lu, my family will be leaving soon but I've moved the space heater to the room you'll be using. It's the spare bedroom next to the babies' room down the hall." Yichen said.

He didn't like the idea of having anyone living in their house but he couldn't deny having the midwife around to help Mochou would be a positive. So he decided to let him stay at their house instead of his parent's home.

"I appreciate it. It's important that for the first twenty-four hours after birth that I remain close to ensure the birth fissure properly seals and your spouse begins to heal." Midwife Lu said.

"Of course. Feel free to make yourself comfortable and treat our home as your own. There's also some food in the kitchen my mother just made. Feel free to eat as much as you like and help yourself to the pastries, dried fruit, nuts, and anything else in the kitchen."Yichen offered.

"Thank you." Midwife Lu said before quietly slipping out of the room.

...

Yichen felt exhausted and a sense of relief after the midwife confirmed that Mochou was okay. He placed the bassinet at the head of the bed. It was close enough he could easily hear any noise and would only need to sit up to see inside.

"This isn't going to work." Yichen thought.

He had his bae at his side and babies by his head but still couldn't get comfortable. Out of worry and love he kept peeking at the babies. Unfortunately, every time he looked at the babies Mochou would frown uncomfortably. He tried to relax and trust they were okay but that didn't last long either.