Chapter 115: Everyone Has Something To Say

Yichen kept his promise and frequently popped his head in the room to help feed the babies and check that everything was going well.

Ke Xin was also a big help. Every time Mu Kui began to fuss she would take him for a walk, play with him, or anything else she needed to do to get him to settle down. Because of her attention to Mu Kui Mochou was able to focus more on the twins and the same situation didn't happen again.

"I think I jumped the gun earlier when I told Yichen this was a bad idea. Ke Xin has been a great help and aside from the occasional cry all three babies have been on their best behaviour." Mochou mused as he played with the twins.

After a little while Yichen's mother and sister-in-law Meng Yao entered the room with a tray table of food. It wasn't much but it included bone soup, some buns, oranges, and nuts.

"Let's eat." They said before setting the tray table on the kang to use. Yichen had gotten it so Mochou could enjoy meals in bed. He expected them to leave the tray for Ke Xin and him but Meng Yao and Yichen's mother also sat up on the kang to join them. Meng Yao predictably sat by Ke Xin and her son while Yichen's mother sat by Mochou and pulled the bassinet off if Mochou lap so it was between them. At first Mochou was upset but soon calmed down.

"She probably just wants to help so I have my hands free and can eat." He told himself.

"How have the twins been eating? Do they have healthy appetites?" She asked in hopes of starting a conversation.

"Muchen eats almost twice as much as Muyang but Yichen says that's normal given their gender. They also eat every three hours like clockwork." Mochou explained.

"What about bowel movements? Are they constipated?"

"They were the first two days but now they go after each feeding. They are both very regular in their sleeping, feeding, and pooping schedule." Mochou said with pride.

"That is wonderful. The first couple weeks after a baby is born are incredible. They sleep all day and are like little angels. But... sadly it doesn't last. Soon these two will be much more active and along with that activity the difficulty greatly increases." Yichen's mother Xin Mi said.

"I'm sure Yichen and I can handle it." Mochou replied.

"I thought the same when I first had Yi Ming. My husband wasn't the village head yet so he was home more often and able to help. We both had plans to do things our own way. Sadly, I quickly learned how difficult it can is to be a new mother. Thankfully, my mother-in-law, Yichen's grandmother, was around to help." She continued.

The more she talked the more suspicious Mochou felt about her motives. He really didn't like the direction the conversation was going.

"I can't imagine how difficult life would have been without her help, and I only had to raise Yi Ming at the time. You and Yichen have twins. Some might think having two babies is only twice as difficult but it's more like ten times more challenging. Mrs Fu down the street had twins. She was always exhausted and could barely keep up with her chores."

"Did she have help from a mother-in-law?" Mochou asked sarcastically.

"Unfortunately, her husband's mother passed when he was a young boy. It was only her, her husband, and his father. With things so difficult she had to invite her sister from the next village to live with her and help." Xi Mi answered.

Mochou could easily tell which direction the conversation was going. Not wanting to let her continue her not so subtle lecture he decided to change things.

"Not having any family close by to help when needed can make things difficult. Luckily, Yichen and I have you. We can easily go over to your house to ask for help... unless we can't?" Mochou said.