Chapter 103: Mother's Request

The next day Yichen set up the courtyard for Mochou. He wasn't happy with the idea but he expected it when he bought the heaters.

He first layered the chaise in thick quilts. Then he placed one of the warmers behind a stack of pillows for Mochou to lean on. The other was placed on the other end close to where Mochou's feet would be. Once the base layer of quilts and the heaters were set he carefully placed Mochou on the chaise. Next he covered him with the soft and thick fur quilt. Over that was another two thick quilts.

Mochou nearly disappeared under all the quilts. He also had a hat made of fur on his head, a scarf made of fur, and the littlest hand warmer in his hands.

"Are you warm?" Yichen asked.

"Very!" Mochou answered enthusiastically.

"If you start to feel cold, even a little call for me."

"I will. Don't worry."

"I brought you a book to read. I know you'd prefer doing your carvings but it's too dangerous to handle sharp tools in the cold." Yichen said.

Mochou had been learning how to read for awhile now. Because if it's similarity to what he already knew it wasn't hard and he could now read on his own.

"Thank you."

"Remember to tuck your hands under the quilt and hold the warmer whenever they start to feel cold. Don't wait until they start to look pale or worse blue. I don't want you getting frost bite." Yichen warned.

"I don't think it's cold enough for that."

"You should also duck under the covers after every page for at least a minute to warm your little nose."

"Yichen don't worry I'll be careful. I also won't stay out too long." Mochou said.

Yichen groaned a little. He really hated the idea of leaving Mochou outside. However Mochou insisted on being outside to enjoy the fresh air and thin layer of snow that had fallen overnight.

"I'll come check on you in a little while."

"No sooner than thirty minutes." Mochou stated. If he didn't he was certain Yichen would be back in less than five.

Yichen grumbled some more before giving a counter offer.

"Ten"

"Twenty."

"... Fine."

"Thank you. Don't forget to use the space heater while you're working. I know you are a tough strong man but I also worry about you catching a cold." Mochou said.

"I'll use the heater." Yichen agreed with a smile. He really didn't think it was necessary but he loved that Kichou worried about him.

He bent down to kiss Mochou's cute little nose peeking out over the thick scarf. When he left the courtyard vlose the doors so he could easily hear Mochou if something happened.

...

Mochou was quietly reading his book when he felt the hairs at the back of his neck go up. Like a cute little rabbit sensing a predator approach he raised his head from its warm nest and looked around him. He didn't see anyone but he had this sinking suspicion that Yichen was somewhere close by.

"It's only been ten minutes." Mochou said. He was neither loud nor whispering. He waited to hear a response but Yichen remained quietly hidden. Mochou didn't believe he wasn't there. Wanting to catch him Mochou resorted to playing dirty. He raised his hand to his face and...

"Cough."

Yichen shot out from behind the kitchen doors and rushed to his side. He leaped forward and was ready to rescue him from the cold.