Chapter 120: Expressions of Love

"Do you want to come with me for a walk?" Mochou asked Yijie.

"Mochou, you're supposed to stay inside." Yichen said after overhearing him.

"After eating so much I can't sit around."

"It's cold outside."

"It is winter after all." Mochou said with a smile.

"We can walk around inside the house instead where it's warm." Yijie suggested.

"That's so boring. I'll show you our yard. The walls are so high there is barely any wind." Mochou said.

"But..." Yijie looked at her brother who was sighing in defeat.

"Dress warm with the fur and take the hand warmer with you. Yichen said.

"I will." Mochou replied before leaving to get his winter clothes.

"Is this really okay?" Yijie quietly asked her brother.

"I learned a long time ago that trying to stop Mochou is pointless and unnecessary. I'm not sure if your husband is the same but Mochou doesn't let his health stop him from doing what he wants. This time is no different. The best I can do is help make sure he is safe and warm when he does it." Yichen explained.

"You two really are a great couple." Yijie said with a big bright smile.

...

Mochou and Yijie slowly made there way around the house. As they did Mochou talked about the garden and showed her the clinic.

"You know for a place in such a rural village it definitely looks nice. Especially all of these windows. How did you manage to buy such beautiful lattice?" Yijie asked. She now lived in a town and was part of a wealthy family so her knowledge of such things had improved.

"I made the lattice myself and Yichen saved a hefty fortune while traveling with your uncle. If he hadn't I'm afraid we'd still be living in our little dilapidated hut." Mochou said.

"I remember that hut of yours. It looked like it could collapse at any second." Yijie said.

"How...?"

"Before I got married I often came by this area to play. I'd sometimes see you going in and out of this really old hut and heading to the river or forest." Yijie revealed with a solemn look on her face as she recalled the thin dirty Mochou of the past.

"You must be surprised by how much I've changed since then." Mochou said hoping Yijie had never tried talking to his past self.

"You definitely seem different but I can't say that you've changed. It's not like I ever tried talking to you. Even before you got these scars I had heard about the pitiful GER abused by his family. Many of my friends were told to behave and learn proper etiquette or they would only be able to marry a man like your father. It really scared them. You're family and life basically became a cautionary tale amongst the women and GER of the village." Yijie revealed.

"If everyone knew it was so bad why didn't they try to stop it?" Mochou questioned with a fierce look.

"I once told my mom and she said that it was a family problem and outsiders weren't aloud to interfere. Not even the Yamen." Yijie explained. As she spoke she looked regretful for what she knew and her decision not to try and talk to Mochou back then.

"That's just an excuse to act cowardly and indifferent to the pain of others." Mochou scoffed.

"I know it's too late now but I'm sorry for never coming over to talk to you back then, that and... I'm sorry I accepted my mother's words and didn't try to help you. You are way nicer than all the other people in this village. I think we could have easily become great friends." Yijie said.