Game

- Checkmate.

It was the fifth game and he was still losing. I had to admit, though, that he'd improved with each passing hour.

For someone who hates this game, he was doing pretty well. My eyes roamed over his face, it was so soft.

The scar on this one was similar to mine. What would my parents say, I'm afraid of their reactions?

I'd never taken the time to admire him, but his ebony hair made his black eyes stand out, and the more I looked, the more obvious it was. His eyes weren't completely black, but speckled with blue.

He and his brother don't really look alike. He's more into mocking and teasing.

Love, on the other hand, was often serious and calm.

But I think they both resent the fact that we're going against what they've decided.

I like Love's face, but what first attracted me to him was the fact that he was taller than me.

I like tall men, and he fit the bill with his imposing build.

My eyes couldn't take my eyes off him.

His brother had very few, if any, freckles on his cheeks.

But it suited him so well, it made him innocently dangerous.

Fear made me envious, while his gaze was a sure bet.

I've always been fascinated by criminals, and what goes on in their minds.

Love was a mine of information.

I'd like to paint him too, he'd make a wonderful picture.

Would he accept?

He's softer these days, I'm proud of him.

- I've had it, wasn't I supposed to win?

I smile.

Should I let him win?

No, it's too much fun to see him in trouble.

- Can we stop if you want?

I've always loved this game, my father taught me and I ended up surpassing him, I rarely played it afterwards, because I didn't have anyone at my level.

I could have taken part in contests, but it was just a bit of fun to pass the time.

I like him so much, I want to imagine this life where we'll be happy.

Or he wouldn't lose his head and give himself up to me.

Love is much nicer than he lets on, using anger and spite to protect himself.

He doesn't want to let anyone in, and break the part of his heart that's left.

I love him, but I'm not ready to tell him yet.

The fear had lessened, but it was still there. I guess he didn't notice.

- Can we go to my parents'?

He lifts his head from the chessboard, then rests his eyes on it.

- Yes, we'll go whenever you like, little puppy.

Think back to that nickname, he wouldn't let go of me with it, he measured just how much to call me a puppy.

- How tall are you? You've been calling me that ever since I got here.

He smiles.

I moved my pawn, the game was almost over. Two more strokes and he'd lose by...

How tall?

He'd really just beaten me, how I hadn't seen anything. 

I couldn't play anything.

He looked up, laughing.

- Check, I thought I could beat you, it was simple really.

I cross my arms over my chest.

- You say that after 10 games, who's to say I didn't let you win, Mr. Braham?

He sneered, then walked around the table and leaned back in the chair.

His face was inches from mine.

He's really handsome.

Yes...

Are you confirming now?

- Because your tactics didn't work on me, Madame Braham.

Mrs. Braham, I'm not his wife yet. But it sounded so good.

Her phone vibrates in her pocket. I noticed it was vibrating a lot.

Who could be talking to him? Knowing he solicited me like that made me a little angry.

I want to be the center of his attention, he had straightened up to consult it.

I got up and headed for the bathroom.

There was a bathtub, now that I was going to live here I might as well use it.

I ran the water, then returned to the living room.

His back was to me.

I slip my hands around his waist and rest my head on him.

- Will you take a bath with me?

He loosened my arms and turned around.

- I'll be there soon.

He gave me a quick kiss before heading off down the corridor.

Talking to him, I get the feeling he's hiding something from me.

We didn't always have to be glued together, but I want to spend as much time as possible with him and against him.

I wonder if he'd mind if we went to see my parents tomorrow. He's got several days off, should it be possible?

I walk to the bathroom, the water almost full, my clothes falling to the floor.

Finally, I can plunge my body into hot water without my marks burning. It was still open, but it was getting better and the pain was bearable.

It's amazing what Love has done with this place, did he live here before he kidnapped me or did he have it built for me?

I'd ask him.

The tub was really specious. It's like a giant Jacuzzi.

I'd anticipated putting moss on it, and it's almost overflowing, so I'm thinking who's going to have trouble seeing me in this mountain?

I laugh at the thought.

- Do you look like you're having fun without me?

Not turning my head, I replied.

- And you took a long time.

I can hear him moving behind my back.

He finally gets in, places his right arm on the ledge, and runs the other through his hair, which he hadn't cut long ago, but was growing fast enough.

- Come into my arms.

I do so, sticking my back to his chest.

- You're so tiny, your head barely sticks out of the moss.

In response, I elbow him in the side.

He laughs and kisses my neck.

- Love, can we go and see my parents tomorrow?

His arms wrapped around my waist. I could feel his breath on the back of my neck.

Has he changed his mind?

Doesn't he want to let me go anymore?

His silence made me nervous, let's not go away again.

- I'll take you there tomorrow.

Surprised, I leaned my head back to look at him.

He smiles.

Then he kissed my forehead.

It was late afternoon and something could still happen to spoil everything.