《Chapter 57》

I barged through Astrid's front door, laughing at something Astrid did. I stopped when I saw Steve and Sammy glaring at us. I gulped as Astrid slid off my back.

"Astrid, may we speak alone please?" Steve asked, glaring sideways at me.

"I'll just . . . " I gestured to the front door before walking out and closing it.

I wonder what they're talking about. Is it about me? Or Jay? Maybe about the school? Whatever it is, I hope it's a good thing.

My thoughts were interrupted when I heard people shouting from the house. I ran inside to find Astrid and Steve at each other's throats. I didn't think it was that serious until Steve brought his hand back and slapped Astrid across her cheek.

Next thing I knew, I slammed Steve's body against the wall, my hands in fists, clutching his shirt.

"STEVE!" Sammy screamed.

"WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?!" I shouted. I glanced behind me. Astrid was on the floor, groaning, holding her injured cheek in her hand. "You're gonna regret doing that," I growled, hitting him across the head. He fell towards the floor, unconscious.

I sprinted across the room to Astrid. Sammy was about to touch her shoulder.

"Don't touch her!" I yelled. I pushed her away. I grabbed Astrid, placing her in a sitting position, her back against the wall. I knelt in front of her.

"Astrid, are you okay?" She nodded hastily. I tried to pull her hand away from her face but she refused. "Baby, let me see." After a few more pleads, I took her hand away to see her cheek bright red, but otherwise, it was okay.

"Thank the gods," I mumbled. I moved, sitting next to Astrid and wrapping an arm around her shoulders. She knelt against my, sobbing into my shirt.

I rubbed her back. "Hey, hey, don't cry. It's okay, I'm here." She whispered something into my chest. "What?"

Astrid glanced upwards, her whole body shaking. "It isn't the first time he's done this . . . "

So that means . . . he's hit her before?! And she's never told me?

"How many times?" I hissed as I slowly stood up.

Astrid shook her head roughly. "Too many."

I stormed over to Steve as he was getting to his feet. I saw blood on the floor, in a small puddle. It smelt horrible.

I grabbed his shirt, slamming his back against the wall. "Why?!" I screamed. "Why have you been hitting her?!"

Steve sneered at me. "Because she deserves it, for dating a guy like you."

"It's not up to you who she dates," I growled. "Why does she deserve it? She is an amazing, perfect girl and you're slapping her for her choice of boys?! What type of adoptive father are you?"

"A shit one!" Steve exclaimed. He punched me as hard as he could on my ribs. It didn't hurt. I didn't even flinch.

Next thing I knew, I was breathing heavily, my whole body shaking. I felt somebody stand up. I could hear their feet hitting the floor as they ran towards me.

Within a minute, I saw Astrid in front of me. "Harry! Calm down. Look at me."

I couldn't concentrate because I was too busy glaring at Steve. I didn't fight the wolf. It broke out its cage. But, it kept my human side beside it.

I felt all my bones starting to change position, very slowly.

"See what you did Steve!" Astrid yelled. She faced me again. "Look at me Hiccup. Look at me!" Astrid grabbed my face, pulling it down, my eyes staring at her face.

"Look, I'm okay," Astrid soothed. "My cheek doesn't hurt anymore, I promise." I made a whining sound, trying to pull my face out of Astrid's grip but she held on tight. "I know, I know. You're angry, but if you wanna get to Steve, you've gotta go through me first."

Great, now she's defending the ignorant bastard.

Astrid placed her forehead on mine, pulling my arms around her waist. "Just calm down," she mumbled. "You wouldn't hurt me."

It was working. My body stopped shaking. I exhaled a deep breath through my nose. I slumped forward into Astrid's body.

"You should have let me shift," I whispered, squeezing her tightly.

"You could have killed Steve," Astrid whispered back.

"But he - " Astrid covered my mouth with her hand.

"Don't even go there," she moaned. I rolled my eyes, taking her hand away from my face.

Out of the corner of my eye, Sammy and Steve seemed to be having a quiet argument, glaring at each other.

As I hugged Astrid with my chin on her shoulder, I stared at her adoptive parents who were arguing. They kept looking other at us, especially at me.

I think they have a problem with me. I mean, Sammy likes me . . . I think. I definitely know that Steve does not like me. But then again, it isn't up to him.

Astrid dates who she wants. It's me at the moment but then again . . . the future can change.

What am I thinking? Astrid loves me and I love her. These past few months have been amazing. I'll never leave her side, and I hope she never leaves mine.

Suddenly, I heard a roar. My whole body tensed. I pulledaway from Astrid, quickly walking over to the window. I ignored Astrid's complains about me leaving her side.

I heard the roar again. It sounded like a animal in pain, but at the same time, it didn't sound like an animal I had ever heard a roar from.

I focused on the noise, trying to detect where it was coming from. The sound was so loud that even Steve and Sammy looked alarmed.

Astrid came to my side. "What is that?"

"I don't know." Another roar flooded the house. "But whatever it is, it sounds in pain." Before I walked away from the window, I only just realised that Astrid tried to grab my hand.

This animal - whatever it was - was in pain. I had to find it.

Forgetting that Sammy and Steve were in the room, I shifted into my wolf. I ran and smashed the window as I jumped outside, the screams of Astrid's adoptive parents echoing around me, as I ran towards the sound of the roar.

Dun, dun, dun!

What could the mysterious animal be? You'll have to be patient for another chapter . . .