《Chapter 51》

"Merida," I growled, "what are you doing here?"

"I came here to see you." Her voice still had that thick Scottish accent.

She sounded so innocent I nearly believed her. But I didn't. I made that mistake once, but it is not going to happen again.

I hid my hands in my pocket that were starting to shake. "You know what happened when I believed you before."

"I know," she said. "I was a wee bit selfish back then. But I've changed! And I need your help."

"You don't want to be around while I'm angry Merida," I mumbled, feeling weak but strangely strong.

"I know, I know. Yer Father told me."

Astrid furrowed her eyebrows as she sat up. I merely nodded in her direction.

"Of course he did." My arms were shaking now so I wrapped them around my chest. "You need to go."

"But Hiccup - "

"Now."

"Let me explain!" Merida shouted.

That was it. "Explain what?!" I yelled. "There's nothing to explain. It was your fault why Jack and Elsa broke up and it's your fault why we're not best friends anymore! You told Jack which we 'broke up' and said I had kissed Elsa. Then Jack got all mad and came to my house, but of course, I had no idea what was going on. He then punched me before walking out the door!"

My breathing had quickened. I glared at the wall as Astrid approached Merida. "It's time for you to leave, now."

As Astrid led her to the door, I went to the kitchen. I gripped the side's edge so hard that my knuckles turned white.

I didn't look up as Astrid slid in next to me. She kept her distance.

I exhaled deeply, pulling my fingers off the kitchen side. I slid closer to Astrid, scooping her at her waist into a hug.

"Are you ok?" I whispered, against her ear. She nodded. "I'm sorry you had to hear that baby. Its just . . . we have a complicated past. I don't want you to know about it, waste of time."

I checked the clock. It was already 10pm. How time flies . . .

I kissed Astrid's cheek. "I'm gonna get some sleep. It'll calm me down. You coming?"

She kissed my forehead. " I'll be there in a minute."

I smiled, releasing my grip and walking into the bedroom. I changed into some skinny joggers and a comfy t-shirt.

As I got under the covers, Astrid came in and shut the door. She looked annoyed, angry even. I heard her mumbling to herself in frustration but I couldn't make out what she was saying.

Was she angry about mine and Merida's past? Or about me mentioning that we kissed? Or was it because of Heather?

Or was she angry that I said something that just pissed her off?

"Astrid?"

"What?" She snapped. Yep, definitely angry.

"Are you . . . ok?"

"I'm fine." Astrid pulled on some leggings. Her voice was quivering therefore she was lying.

"You're lying." I sat up. "Just tell me the truth."

"Why?" Astrid glanced at me. "I don't need to be truthful, Hiccup."

"But Astrid, you need trust in a relationship, otherwise they fall apart. Don't let that happen, please."

Astrid stared at me.

"Just tell me." I pleaded, getting up off the bed.

"No."

"Why not?"

"Because it's not important."

"It's important to me!" I suddenly shouted. My body started to shake again.

"No it's not Hiccup! You always say that!" Astrid yelled. "You never mean it!"

That really angered me. "OF COURSE I MEAN IT! IF I DIDN'T, I WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN SAYING IT!"

I exploded then, shifting into my wolf immediately. I whined in pain, stumbling on my paws.

There was a pounding pain in my head. It felt like it was being burned, like I was dizzy. My body swayed.

"Hiccup?" Astrid's voice echoed in my mind, paying no responses.

I hit the floor, growling quietly.

"Hiccup!" I felt Astrid kneel by my side. I attempted to stand up but I fell again. It was like I didn't know what to do.

Astrid apologised and ran off, coming back with some medicine. She propped my head up, pouring it into my mouth. She placed the empty bowl on the floor beside me.

The medicine didn't help.

No, this can't be happening . . . Not now! The wolf inside of me . . . it was taking over.

Astrid! I managed to get out of my mind. You need to go.

She gaped at me. "What?! No! I'm not leaving you!"

I stood up, my vision blurry. Go! Now! I suddenly became very angry and snarled at Astrid.

. . . GO . . .

Astrid stayed in the same position. I advanced towards her, my ears flattening against my head, my lips curled up, revealing my canines.

Before I could launch at her, Astrid whispered, "You wouldn't hurt me . . ."

My eyes twitched before falling to the back of my head as I shifted back.

All I saw was Astrid beside me until I fainted in her arms.