Chapter 22

The Story Of Us
Chapter 22
Emily's POV

Date story took place: 7/13/11
Age: 14

Caleb and I sat around his fire pit in his backyard. Everyone else who was out here got cold or they were either tired and ditched the fire. Surprisingly, Maryland gets super cold in the evenings during the summer. Even though I was freezing my butt off, I always enjoyed being alone with Caleb.

"How's it feel being 14?" I grinned.

He just shook his head and smiled. "Amazing?" He asked.

"Amazing? That's it?" I rolled my eyes.

He shrugged his shoulders. "Old?"

I laughed. "Honestly, I can't wait to turn 14." I watched the sparks flying from the fire into the dark.

"Why?" He asked.

"I don't know. I just feel when your 14 you get more privileges, I guess. Actually, I'm not quite positive why I'm excited to turn 14. Maybe it's-" I started but then shook my head. "Never mind."

I looked up at Caleb, who was giving me a strange look. "You do realize that you made absolutely no sense right there?"

I put my head in my hands. "Shut up." My voice was muffled. I could feel Caleb come and scoot beside me.

"You're cute when you don't make sense though." I took my crimson colored face out of my hands to look at a grinning Caleb.

"Whatever." I giggled. He wrapped his arm around me and pressed his body against mine. I gently placed my head on his shoulder and closed my eyes. If I could freeze time whenever I wanted, I would stop here and stay like this forever.

"I like you, Emily." Caleb broke the silence. "I don't mean I like you as a friend, I mean I like you as more than a friend." I picked up my head and stared into his dark, brown eyes. Was this really happening?

"I tried telling you that at homecoming," he continued. "But then Ethan came out and I never got the chance. I've been to nervous to tell you ever since then."

Our faces slowly grew closer and closer. "Really?" I whispered.

"Yeah." He chuckled and I smiled. We were inches away from each other. My insides felt like they were all twisted up inside. He really did have feelings for me.

"Hey Caleb!" Ethan called out from the deck. Caleb and I immediately pulled away.

Caleb looked at me. "He ruins everything, doesn't he?" He sighs and runs his hand through his hair.

Ethan has made his way down toward us, eyeing us along the way. "Oh, did I interrupt something or?" He pointed to the two of this.

"Nothing, Ethan. You didn't interrupt anything at all." I said, trying to stay calm. You only interrupted me from kissing Caleb but you know what, it's fine.

Ethan took a seat in front of us and for awhile we just listened to the crackle of the fire. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and looked at the time. It was 12:02.

"Hey, I've got to go." I stood up and put my hands in my pockets to keep them warm.

"What the hell, Emily. I get out here then five seconds later you leave." Ethan laughed.

I turned towards him and shrugged my shoulders. "I've got school in the morning." I teased.

"Oh right, I forgot that there was school in the summer." He rolled his eyes.

I kneeled behind Caleb and wrapped my arms around his neck. "Happy Birthday." I said. He took his hands and placed them on my arms.

"Thank you!" He smiled one of his cheesy smiles up at me and I giggled.

I quickly glanced up at Ethan to make sure he wasn't watching us. His face was glued to his phone screen.

I gave Caleb a small kiss on the cheek and whispered in his ear. "I'll text you later." I turned and walked off. Before entering the house, I walked to the edge of the balcony and gave a small wave to Caleb. He just grinned and stared.

"I love you." I whispered to myself as I stepped into their house.