I Have a Very Specific Skill Set (Murdock x reader)

"Fog! I'm gonna run out for coffee!" Matt called across their small shared law office, hurrying towards the door before his partner could object. The heat from the city streets was filling the room, and the sound of fans that did nothing more than circulate it were drowning out his voice. He should have known better than for that to be enough to help, because in an office this size, there was no getting away without hassle if Foggy's bullshit radar had been triggered.

"Oh, yeah," Foggy replied causally, turning his chair back and forth slowly as he watched Matt pause before his hand could touch the doorknob, "where?"

"At the coffee shop. I thought that was pretty intuitive."

"Which one?"

"Does that actually matter?"

"Yes, it does. Just answer the question, Murdock."

"I'm going to the one...on 41st," he muttered in reply, again trying to make his way to the door but ultimately failing.

"That's what I thought," Foggy stood and hurried to stand in Matt's way. "You're not going for coffee at all! You're going to see her again, aren't you?"

"Fog, I don't know what you're talking about. I'm just thirsty and I like their cappuccino. You're making something out of nothing, and now I'm not getting any for you."

"Woah, no need to be like that," his friend argued, hands up in defeat, "I could go for a cup. How's about if I just go with you?" He turned and moved back towards his desk to grab his keys, while Matt stood in place with a scowl that had him rethinking the idea. "What? I would be interrupting a little something, wouldn't I? Why won't you just admit it? Admit it, and I'll gladly stay here."

Matt carefully weighed his options; if he let Foggy join him, he definitely wouldn't be able to see you; it would put his friend in danger, and he swore to never do that purposefully. If the man got into trouble on his own, that was one thing, but he wouldn't lead him to it willingly. If he made Foggy stay behind, it was all but admitting that the man was right. Either way, he was going to find out the truth, and it left him with only one clear answer. "I'm going to see my girlfriend."

"Bullshit. You don't have a girlfriend. You're going to see (Y/N)...unless...is she your girlfriend now? Are you seriously dating the number one of the biggest crime boss that New York has seen in a century? Are you out of your damn mind?"

"I'm not dating-"

"Do they have some sort of weird ass vigilante Tinder out there or something?"

"Fog, come on-"

"Can't say that I wouldn't swipe right on that."

"Okay, I'm leaving," Matt huffed, not pausing to listen to any more. He had heard your voice in the distance, in the midst of a fight not far from the office, and if he wanted the chance to catch you he had to move much faster than this. He'd been able to get to you only a few times since he'd been made aware of your work in the city, and he wasn't about to let this opportunity slip by when you were practically right next to him and taunting him to find you.

~~~

It was hard to slip his suit on as he ran, but after transforming himself into Daredevil so many times now, Matt had worked out a method that worked well enough. It slowed him down some, pulling one leg of his suit on while hopping on the other, but not so much that he thought he missed you. He could still hear your voice as he jumped from rooftop to rooftop, the tone echoing in his mind louder with each leap until he was only one building away. Matt took the final jump and waited, listening to your conversation on the street below with the thug that you were letting your anger out on this evening, smiling to himself at the ease with which you held control.