12

Harry POV {Senior Year of High School}

I've never been the one to say "life is great", cause usually it isn't for me.

My Mom has been a single Mom to me and my sister Gemma for years. Her countless lovers always bale once she wants them to meet us.

She's a nurse at a hospital, so her hours are long and I hardly see her.

But to me, now life is "great".

Jane has been official girlfriend which makes me smile just at the thought. Just having her be mine is amazing and she makes all the little sad things in my life disappear.

I can't wait to introduce her to my Mom and sister when the time comes.

Jane and I have been dating for two months now.

"Harry they're going to be here soon!" My Mom calls from downstairs. I shrug my shoulders and close my textbook.

They is her boyfriend of nearly a year now and her boyfriends kids. I don't know how old he and she is. I just know my Mom's boyfriend has two kids. One boy, one girl.

I head downstairs and see my older sister, Gemma setting up the table. This is the first time we're meeting one of my Mom's boyfriends. This is also the first time we don't have a family dinner in the living room watching TV.

"What's his name?" I ask my Mother as she walks into the dining room. She looks frantic.

"Robin." Her thick English accent comes out.

My sister and I were both born in England. We lived there until I was seven then we moved here, the United States. I've manage to get rid of my accent to try to fit in at school. Jane says at times it comes out.

The door bell rings and I look to Gemma to get the door. She stays in place and narrows her brown eyes at me. My Mom is in the kitchen and probably didn't hear it. "I'll get it." I say. My sister smirks and I leave the room.

I pull back our brown, wooden, front door and I'm greeted by a friendly man with bright blue eyes and glasses. "You must be Harry." His voice is peppy but semi manly.

"Yeah, that's me." I shake Robin's hand. My eyes glance away from his and go his kids standing a distance away. What makes my heart drop is the sight of Jane standing timidly on my front porch.

Her face isn't shocked like mine, almost like she knew. "Come in." I say. Robin nods with a warm smile. I close the door behind Jane and her younger brother, Mike that I've never seen before.

"Did you know our parents are a thing?" I ask Jane in a lower whisper.

"Not until we pulled into your house." Her voice says. Her gloomy brown eyes meet mine.

"Please don't look sad." I murmur.

"We can't be together if our parents are engaged."

"They're what?!" My voice raises and she tells me to lower my voice in a hiss. "No one told me that."

"I can tell." Jane murmurs.

I see my Mom and Robin walk over to us. "Do you guys know each other?" My Mother asks. A wide smile on her lips.

"Yeah. He's in some of my classes." Jane says making my heart fall. My Mom and her shake hands. I would've just blurted out that we're dating. I was going too but Jane spoke.

"Yeah." I agree, my voice lowering. "Need help in the kitchen?" I ask my Mother who nods. She excuses herself away from the Twist family.

***

My Mother officially announced their engagement.

I'm not happy about it.

Robin is nice and all but I'm dating his daughter.

She's going to be my step sister.

I cringe at the thought and screw my eyes shut. "Harry, why don't you give Jane the tour of the house." They're moving in next month.

We have two extra rooms that are guest rooms that are now going to be filled. I nod and stand up. Jane does as well and smiles gently at my Mother.

We've never talked about our family pasts. I assumed her parents were married. I assumed wrong.

We head upstairs. "You know where everything is." I mutter lowly.

"Are you mad that I didn't say we were a thing?" Her voice becomes uneasy.

"Yeah." I say honestly.

"Harry-" I pull her into my bedroom and close the door.

"You're my girlfriend and now we're going to be fucking step siblings!" I exclaim.

"I know that." Her voice remains normal. "We moved here because of my Dad's girlfriend. I didn't know it was your family."

"What are we supposed to do?" I ask. "Keep us a secret? Tell them? What?"

"I want my Dad to be happy." Jane says. "My Mom died after she gave birth to my brother and since then he's always put us in front of himself. He looks happy and I don't want to ruin that." My eyes sting.

"So, we're breaking up?" I ask. I didn't even get to say I love you yet.

"It's the right thing to do. I mean," She shrugs and runs her hand through her brown hair. "This all sucks, but what are we going to do? I can't date my step brother."

I remain silent.

"Harry be logical. I'm going to be living in the room across from you. That's weird. We're going to have family breakfasts and--we just shouldn't."

"Fine." I say. "We're broken up." My eyes look away from her's. She's been the only happiness in my life.

"Don't act like this isn't hard on me too." Jane says. Her voice becomes tense.

"How am I acting like that?" I ask curiously.

"You just are."

"Sorry." Her eyes roll.

"We should go downstairs so nothing seems weird." All of this is weird. I don't argue I just pull open my bedroom door and don't wait for her.

I walk downstairs and sit back down at the dining room table. Gemma's head tilts at me and I look away from my sisters intense stare.

Like what I said.

I usually don't say life is great.

A://N

Hello

Comment goal: 30????

Do you guys like the semi past chapters?

~lauren