56

Harry POV

It's been two days since Eve and I started our "break" and I'm already sick of it.

At the office it's awkward because we don't know what to say or do. She just hands me my papers and leaves without a word, which I would expect.

It doesn't help that I now sleep like shit and feel like I have a hangover every morning when I wake up.

Liam and I sit in my office discussing the intern who stays currently.

"Who do you want to stay?" I ask Liam who has his eyes on me.

"Eve, you?"

"I don't know." I say honestly. "I'm biased so I can't make the decision." I explain briefly.

"We need more girls in the office. She's a girl." Liam says making my eyes roll briefly at his answer. "Also, she gives this place a little more life. It's not bland and dull anymore. People actually speak now." Hearing how she brings out the office and how she makes everyone comfortable enough to speak makes me miss her more. It's only been two days and I miss her.

"What about Nate?" I ask.

"Nate is Nate. He hasn't don't anything rememberable." Liam says simply. "So Eve is staying?" Hearing her name makes me feel more like a fuck up because I can't make the one person I want happy.

"Yeah. You announce it though. If I do it would sound like I picked her because she's my uh girlfriend." Do I still call her my girlfriend?

"Why did you hesitate on the word girlfriend?" Liam asks me with furrowed eyebrows. "Are you and Eve alright?"

"We're on a break." Admitted that makes me feel sadder. I look away from Liam and to my hands.

"Why are you guys on a break? You both seemed happy."

"I can only make her happy to a certain extend." I say while looking back at my friend.

"You couldn't get your dick up?" Liam questions me. His head tilts to the side. My eyes widen.

"No!" I exclaim. "That's not what I'm talking about."

"Then what?" My friend asks. He leans back in the chair across from me. I don't respond, I just let whatever roams around his mind stir for a few moments. "Oh, you're still in love with Jane."

"I'll always be in love with her," I say. "It's more of the fact I don't know how to move on from her." I admit.

"Can you explain a little more on that?"

"I feel like when I'm with Eve, I'm cheating on Jane. I feel like if I want to do more with Eve I'm betraying my wife." I explain shortly.

"Have you tired talking to a therapist?" I shrug my shoulders and lean back in my chair.

"I've considered it," I murmur. "I just don't want to go to one." Liam's head shakes at me. "What?" I question.

"You don't want to go to therapy?" He asks. "Oh yeah, that would mean the perfect Mr. Styles has problems."

"I'm not perfect." That's an obvious one. "I don't like going. I went before."

"Yeah, well life is unfair. You want Eve don't you?"

"I do." I say.

"Then the answer is pretty clear then," Liam stands. "I'm going to invite Eve to the Gala since she's now going to be working here." I nod. Soon my friend leaves my office and I lean back in my chair. I let out a deep breath and run my hand through my hair.

My eyes look to the photo's on my desk. I put one of Eve and I on my desk a couple weeks ago. It replaces the spot of my wedding photo with Jane.

My eyes look at the photo and I just stare. It was when we were at my sisters beach house. We both are seated on the blanket we brought to sit on. My arm is around her waist and we're both smiling.

I look away from the photo and close my eyes. I'll call my old therapist later.

~

It's my lunch break and I forgot my food in my car.

My plan was to not leave my office today so I wouldn't have to see Eve, but that didn't work out of course.

I don't look around the office for her. I just walk to the elevators and press the down arrow. A presence of a body is next to me and I don't look who it is.

The heavy, metal doors soon open and I step in. I press the first floor and wait in the back of the elevator.

I look at Eve who steps in and stands a distance away in front of me.

She was smiling today I so I suppose she's doing fine. She smiles a lot so I don't know what she's feeling.

She's wearing her Wednesday work clothes. By living with her, I figured out that she plans her outfits in order from what she will wear on Monday to Saturday.

I'm tempted to just hug her from behind and just hold her and say I'm sorry for everything these past six months.

But I don't. The doors open and she walks out. I do as well a few moments later.

Now we're like strangers it seems like.

***

I arrive home at six o'clock. Anna is making dinner still and I just sit down at the counter and tiredly run my hand through my hair.

"Is Eve out of town?" My cook asks me.

"No, we're on a break." I say bluntly making her eyebrow raise at me.

"Oh," She says simply. "I bet everything will work out perfectly between you two."

"I hope." I murmur. Soon my dinner is placed in front of me.

"Would you like something to drink?" Anna asks me. Her voice is gentle now rather than the usual happy.

"Whiskey." I reply. Her eyes stare at me curiously. She doesn't argue or question me. She goes to my liquor cabinet and gets me my requested drink.

Eve was smiling today.

I don't know why, but it bothers me.

She's smiling and we're not together currently.

I close my eyes and let my paranoid thoughts roam about my mind.

A://N

Smallish chapter ??????

Ty for 100k reads!! That's means so much to me because I thought no one would read this book because it's a CEO fanfic :/ but all your support means the world !!

Comment goal: 50?

~lauren