Chapter 52.

We didn't sleep.

All night we've been up, talking and answering questions the cops asked us. Tess called them. We didn't want to call no one else because we knew they'd want to come and they've all been waiting all night in the hospital. This didn't concern our friends, they've done enough and I couldn't be more grateful.

Zayn on the other hand, was pissed. He moved himself outside in the front porch from the living room we were all standing in to take a seat in steps.

Detectives were looking at the glass chattered in the floor, Tess pointing down the house to the spot where she nearly got shot. Avan was on the other side of the room, explaining to some officer what seemed to be just how he pushed his Mom out the way.

 Nothing made sense anymore, like the fact of why Ezra would do this. Everyone knows he and Zayn are always head to head but only against each other, never their families. And Zayn tried so hard to keep his hidden away from all that, yet it happened. When we least expected it.

"Ma'em?"

I fluttered my eyes back to reality, remembering an officer was asking for my side of the story.

Before I went back on telling him what I was meaning to say, I grew a little mischievous towards the way a paramedic walked up to Zayn. I was looking at this from the shattered window. The man only  wanted to see if he was okay from what happened in the home invasion like he did to all of us. Only Zayn wasn't responding back, he was only looking down and tapping his foot impatiently. This wasn't a good sign.

"Excuse me." I quickly moved past the officer, eyes never leaving Zayn until I got to the front door and swung it open.

"Sir, please, I have to make sure you don't have any broken bones or other stuff." The paramedic tried reasoning with him.

"Does it look like I have any broken bones?" He finally spoke in annoyance, looking up at the guy with an even more annoyed look in his face.

I finally reached them, stepping behind Zayn. The reaction on the paramedic's face was just enough to tell me he didn't like Zayn's attitude. I forgave the man for Zayn acting like that and he just gave me a dirty look. Good thing Zayn didn't catch it or things will be in real jeopardy.

I looked back down at Zayn, noticing he was really hurt. Not physically, but mentally.

I took a seat next to him in the last step up the house. My hand rose to draw small circles in his back, stunned to quickly see him reject my touch.

"No, Paige, I don't want to hurt you." He shook his head.

"Zayn. I think we both know you're not going to do that." I went back to touching his sore back.

Again, he rejected. This time he held my hand away as he turned over to look at me. "No, you don't get it, now is not a good time for me."

I immediately disagreed with him. He can't fool me, not anymore. I know he's not just angry, he's something else.

My hand swiveled away from his hold. His eyes showed he didn't know exactly what I was doing and neither did I. All I know was that I wanted to make him feel better, take things out of his mind a bit.

The sun was just beginning to rise. It was a beautiful moment. We were the only ones outside, surrounded by cars in the small driveway of his Mom's house but that couldn't bother me. A smile rose up my lips, hand coming up to play with the small hairs in the back of his head. The other one came up to rest on top of his knee.

"Good morning." I smiled a bit shyly, cheeks flooding with heat.

He closed his eyes, not smiling at all while lightly shaking his head. "Paige, what are you doing? I really don't have time for thi--"