Chapter 8: Hana Akimoto

There was a figure in a black cloak sitting at a table, her back to me, in a softy lit room. I ventured closer tentatively.

"Miss Akimoto?" The figure turned, and I found myself looking at the face of a young woman, who looked no more than 25. Everything about her emanated darkness, her eyes, her hair, her face.

"I came to have my fortune read." She nodded.

"Of course." Her voice was dull, and she reached out her hands. I sat down, and she took my hands. Her eyes closed, and she looked as though she was concentrating. Then her eyes opened again, and she looked at me, almost with a sense of urgency.

"You have danger in your future, and it will always be there, there is no avoiding it. You will be betrayed by the one you trust, when you need her the most. You will suffer hardships, but you can bear them only if you trust and love yourself. And - and you can save me." The last part surprised me.

"Save you?" Miss Akimoto looked up.

"Yes, you are a vampire who has never once fallen to your instincts, because you never had the chance to. You were fed your master's blood almost as soon as you were bitten, so you were never at risk of being a Level E, and never even had to bite your own master. I have never fallen to any sin, as a pureblood, except... except greed," She looked up to me sorrowfully, I was too stunned to speak, "I was greedy to have the power to choose my fate, my destiny, my abilities, so now I am cursed, cursed with seeing what others can't. I have been stripped of my rank as nobility and a pureblood, instead, a miserable woman who seeks salvation." I shook my head.

"I'm sorry. You have the wrong person." Slowly, I tried to pull my hands free, but she held on tightly.

"Please," She begged, desperate, "Save me." I shook my head again. What she said was true, but I can't save her, she's just imagining things. The look in her eyes changed from begging, to a steeliness.

"Fine then, tell the Kuran prince that Shizuka Hio sends her love."