Chapter 35: The dress

I sat there trembling, as I tried to once again, find my light source. For the past 30 minutes, me and the headmaster had been trying to figure out how I could control my power. All I could manage was to glow slightly, so my body was emanating light, nothing like before when it would virtually send out a lightwave.

"Let's stop now," Kaien advised. "You'll be too tired for your archery lesson, and I'm pretty sure Yagari will work you to the bone."

I nodded, feeling my legs weaken as I got up.

"Thanks for the lesson," I told him, and I meant it. This lesson was actually pretty interesting, even though it was so exhausting.

"It's fine," Kaien replied, before looking at me closely. "Are you going to Takuma's birthday party afterwards?"

"Of course," I replied. "Did Takuma tell you?"

"Naturally," Kaien replied good-naturedly. "You are missing class for this."

I nodded absentmindedly. I still had to find a dress actually. Maybe I could go to the shops during my lunch break.

"Am I allowed to leave the school during my break?" I asked the headmaster. He nodded.

"As long as I know where you are, and you're back soon. What do you intend to do?" Well, how do I explain that I needed a dress? Kaien seemed to read my mind.

"I don't suppose you're looking for something to wear?" He looked at me skeptically. I felt my face flush.

"Maybe."

"Stop by my office when you have time today," he offered. "I think I might be able to find you a dress." I wonder what it will be like.

As I sat down for lunch, I heard voices, getting closer.

"I saw her go this way."

"Are you sure she's taking those lessons?"

"I'm sure, apparently the headmaster's also teaching her."

"Wow! She's so lucky!" As I listened, two day class girls appeared. They were still talking, but as they saw me, they immediately rushed over.

"Saki, Saki, is it true that you're taking lessons from Yagari Toga?" One of the girls burst out immediately, sitting down next to me on the bench. The other girl sat down on my other side.

"You are so lucky!" The first girl gushed. "You are taking lessons from the hottest teacher there is! And he's single!" Sure, he's hot, totally. If they knew his attitude, they wouldn't be so keen.

"Uh, thanks," I muttered, not sure what to say. "Don't you have class?" The second girl suddenly piped up, waving aside my question.

"What lessons do you have with him?" She stared at me with her pale eyes. "Tell us, please!" I can't remember if Kaien wanted me to keep my archery lessons a secret. Maybe he didn't mind, but seeing as there would be day class students clamouring for lessons next, I should probably stay quiet.

"Uh, I don't know," I replied hesitantly. Time to go. "I have to go to the headmaster's office now, if you'll excuse me." I quickly got up, escaping the two girls' constant stream of questions.

"It's something secret, obivously," I heard one girl tell the other, as I left.

Now would be a good time to go to the headmaster's office I think. As I walked into the main building, going up staircases until I reached the top, I saw the door leading to his office. I could also hear voices in there.

"What do you want the dress for?" A gruff voice asked. My heart sank.

"It's a secret!" Kaien's happy, go-free, voice replied. "I knew you would have kept some of Midori's things. You can't hide it from me!" Yagari snorted.

"I doubt it. How did you even know I kept some of her things?" I slowed down, reaching the headmaster's door. I didn't want to go in just yet.

"I just knew," Kaien replied cheerfully. "To tell you the truth, I wanted to ask if you'll lend the dress to Saki. She doesn't have one for Takuma's party, and I'm pretty sure she doesn't want to be looked down upon by the other vampires."

"Saki?" Yagari repeated, then sighed. "That girl is so strange. She reminds me of...her." Kaien spoke again, but his voice was sympathetic.

"I know you miss her, but you had to protect Zero."

"My right eye hurts whenever I think of her," Yagari growled. "And that girl isn't helping." The conversation suddenly stopped, and I thought I heard whispers. Just then, the door opened, and Yagari looked out, glaring at me.

"Done eavesdropping?" He asked sarcastically. "You can come in now." I mentally kicked myself. Of course, what was I thinking? Here, there were two vampire hunters, who were considered to be extremely powerful, and high-ranked. Of course they would sense a vampire right outside their door.

Sheepishly, I walked into the office. Kaien sat on his desk, facing me, while Yagari leaned against the wall.

"Ah, you're here, Saki!" Kaien greeted me happily. "Here's the dress I promised you!" Next to him on a chair, there lay a black dress, with white trimmings. A big, red flower was pinned onto the right side of the bodice, and a red ribbon was tied onto the back of it. In other words, it was beautiful.

"Oh," I managed to utter, admiring the dress.

"You like it?" Kaien's delighted voice asked, as he studied the way I looked at the dress. "That's wonderful!" Yagari coughed from the side of the room.

"You seem to forget that I was the one who supplied the dress," he looked at Kaien meaningfully. Kaien scratched the back of his neck guiltily.

"Of course, anyway, Saki," he turned back to me. "The dress used to be Yagari's fiance's. He brought it here, because I asked him, though I left out the part that it was for you."

"Well, are you going to try it?" Yagari looked at me skeptically. "I didn't bring it here just so people can gawk at it."

"You can use the bathroom," Kaien gestured to a door adjoining his office.

"Oh, right, thanks," I walked forward to pick up the dress then stopped. "You have a fiance?" I thought the day class girl had said he was single. Yagari didn't reply, and Kaien coughed nervously.

"Um, well, she passed away some time ago," he said, in way of explanation. Yagari still hadn't said anything, but as I glanced at him, he raised a hand to his eyepatch, as though in pain.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to intrude," I apologised, feeling awkward, and just wanting to get into the bathroom away from the two of them. Kaien waved me on, and I hurried in, the dress in my arms.

In the bathroom, I held the dress out at an arm's length, admiring the design and style. Time to get changed.

Hello everyone! How do you like the story so far? Check the media box, it has a picture of Saki's dress. I spent ages looking for it DX But now I have it XD. Please comment and vote. Enjoy your day (or night)!