Chapter 28: Uncontrolled light

"Good job," Yagari praised sarcastically. "You have made excellent progress. Now, you can hit the target within the outer circle." I glared at him. Despite how I had spent the past hour trying to aim, I never managed to hit the bullseye. It didn't help how Yagari seemed to think I was supposed to have hit the bullseye at least once by the end of the lesson

"So sorry," I muttered, walking up to the target to collect my arrows. A few lay in the grass, and the rest were on the target, on the outside rings.

"Let's stop now," Yagari called. "Just bring back the arrows and I'll start talking you through about regular lessons. It seems we have a visitor." At the last remark, I looked over my shoulder to see a white-haired person, standing outside the fence, his hands in his pockets.

Just ignore him, I told myself, turning back to the arrows. taking hold of one, I yanked it out, dropping it on the ground. Tugging out a couple more, I soon had a pile of arrows at my feet.

"It's been a while, Zero," Yagari addressed the tall, white-haired boy with distaste. "To think that you've changed so much from that boy I once trained to be the best hunter possible." Zero's eyes flashed, as he replied coolly.

"Why did you come here?" he demanded. "You're not only making things hard for Yuki and me, but also Saki. Why are you even training her?" Yagari raised an eyebrow in disbelief.

"Do you think I would let her just go and forget about training her powers? I can't just let some vampire discover she has the powers of an aristocrat and let her run wild," Yagari's eye darkened. "I still remember my duty unlike you."

Zero snorted, beginning to turn around.

"Whatever you say, old man." I don't know about them, but I could hear their conversation perfectly. Vampires haven't got good hearing for no reason.

I picked up the bundle of arrows at my feet, beginning to walk back to Yagari and Zero. Part of me contemplated stalling, before going back, just so I wouldn't get caught in their heated conversation.

"I tried," Zero retorted, his face angry.

"Don't make me regret losing this eye," Yagari returned, pointing at his right eye, or eyepatch, shall I say.

Then Zero had to look up, to see me wandering confusedly, debating over whether or not I should return. He shot me a glare, which I ignored. Finally making up my mind, I walked over to the two of them.

"I'm going for lunch," I said, putting the arrows into the quiver, and placing the bow on the bench. Yagari snorted, muttering something about blood-munching. I took this as a chance to irritate him, which was something he had been doing to me over the past hour.

"Could you ask the hunter association to produce nicer-tasting blood tablets?" I asked him, trying to look innocent. "The ones I just ate weren't very tasty." Yagari shot me a glare, which I tactfully ignored.

'Do I come back later?" I asked, dropping the inncocent look. "Or do I go back to class?" I don't know why I was asking him, but well, he should know.

'You're going back to class after lunch," Zero interrupted, before Yagari could reply. "You'll take lessons every day, except on Sundays, at the same time." I stared at him, surprised. How did he know my timetable? I didn't even know it myself. Zero seemed to read my mind.

"The chairman told me to tell you," he said, turning around to leave, hands in pockets.

Yagari noticed me still standing, and gestured me to leave.

"Well, hurry up," he said irritably ."How long does it take you to walk up to the main building? Don't vampires have super speed anway?"

I took this as an opportunity to hurry off, walking as fast as I could, the main building in sight. In fact, I was walking so fast, I had forgotten about my vampire speed. Before I realised, I had walked straight into someone. Uh oh.

"Is there something wrong with your eyes?" Zero asked, turning around to face me. "Or does being a vampire mean you can only see blood?" I was angry then. What is it with everyone making sadistic comments about me being some blood-obsessed freak?

Which you are.

No, I thought, I am not. Glaring up at Zero, I said tightly.

"I would have thought you would know, being a vampire and all." That should fix him. I was tired of being the worst. The lowest of the low. A vampire that was once human. It was whispered in every noble's house, when they heard of me. Another vampire that wasn't worthy of being in the society. Even as I thought about it, my anger grew, I could sense it building up inside me, making me clench my teeth, wanting to blast every pureblood and aristocrat off this planet.

Light began emanating off me, beginning to grow brighter, with a tinge of red. Finally, I couldn't contain it anymore, and let it explode out of me. I heard Zero make a sound somewhat between a gasp and a shout, as the rays struck him, blinding everyone in sight, and making my eyes water.

"Stop!" Yagari's voice roared, and I felt something whistle through the air, to hit me. Right through the heart.