Chapter 65: A lower class vampire

I had no choice really. I had to stand down.

"Fine," I replied simply, walking past Zero and through the stable entrance. Every instinct in my body longed to punch him in the face. He'll probably just shoot me though.

"What happened with you and Ichiru?" The question came out of nowhere, catching me off guard.

"Why do you ask?" I replied evenly. "It has nothing to do with you."

"Go back to your classroom," was his only reply. So much for a change of topic.

I left Zero standing there in front of the stables as I marched off down the pathway that would take me back to the classroom.

As I reached the end of path, I slowed, unsure of whether I wanted to go into the dim room, and face the stares of the other aristocrats.

A rustle sounded to my left, as the bushes shook. Instinctively I turned to look, almost screaming as someone grabbed me by the shoulder. Immediately I lashed out with a clenched fist, hitting the mystery person in the shoulder.

"Ow!" was the only reply I got, as I looked properly at the person behind me. "What was that for?" I blinked in the darkness, and the person behind me chilled my blood. Not him again.

"Hey, wait!" Ichiru called after me as I began sprinting down the path. "I just wanted to say-"

"No!" I wailed as I ran away from the silver-haired vampire hunter. "Just leave me alone!"

"Are you still upset with me?" Ichiru's footsteps followed me down the pathway, rapidly speeding up. "I said I was sorry."

No. That's not it.

I shook my head fiercely, still running. The classroom was right ahead, and I really didn't mind suffering the stares and murmurs of Night Class students just as long as I didn't have to run into him.

"Please, just talk to me!" He's shouting again, but I think I'm losing him.

"Why won't you talk?"

Why?

I'm afraid.

Once when I was little, I tripped and fell onto the road. A car almost hit me. It actually did, but luckily, I wasn't that far onto the road, just off the pathway. It went straight over my left wrist, crushing it. The pain was horrible. Agony for almost a month, before my vampire side went to fixing it, leaving me healed perfectly, leaving behind only a scar. It didn't erase the memory though. 

The acrid scent of the car, the distinct, crunching sound of my wrist bone. I could remember it all vividly, it all happened so fast. A screech of tyres, but it was too late. The pain being so intense that I blacked out. All I could remember were shouts, and the smell of blood. My blood.

I was scared of the road for years after that. I always walked on the side of the path that was furthest from the road after that. I was also scared of cars. I only didn't mind them if I was inside them, or they were far away.

It was like Ichiru. Once I was hurt, I would be scarred and scared. So I would stay away. Even if it meant I would keep running away.

"Saki!" His voice was quieter now, as I rounded the bend in the path. The building was right in front of me. Reaching out, I pulled open the door, my heart in my mouth. The school building was quiet, dimly lit, and the door to the Night Classroom a few metres away. 

Walking over to it calmly, I pushed the door open slowly, steeling myself to meet the eyes of the other Night Class.

Their reaction was expected. As one, they all turned to watch me, while I told Yagari that I felt better and came bacl.

"Very well," he replied with a huff. "You can take the seat next to Seiren." I felt my limbs freeze up. Seiren? She didn't seem to notice or care, but I still felt a little edgy around her.

Sitting down next to her made me feel as though she was a bomb ready to be set off. I don't know why, but something about her just made me nervous. Maybe because she's Kaname's bodyguard.

I sat on the edge of my seat nervously, tense and ready to make a run for it if necessary. I had seen how Seiren could move, and she probably knew that I kinda really hated Kaname. So I was probably her number one target.

"Don't be afraid." I think I almost fell out of my chair in fright. Seiren sat there at the desk, staring ahead fixedly. "I said, don't be afraid." 

"O-of course," I replied shakily, trying to muster a grin. "Why wouldn't I?" Maybe I should have just faced Ichiru back there.

"I'm not that mean," Seiren said calmly, leaning on the desk. "I know you may not like Lord Kaname, but I won't kill you just for that."

"Of course not," I hastily reassured her, despite the complaints my mind gave. "I know that you're not a mean person at heart." Maybe.

"Ladies," Yagari coughed from the front of the room. "Your attention please."

"Sorry," the two of us mumbled, turning back to the front. As Yagari continued to talk about something or other, my thoughts drifted away, now that I had the space to think. 

I can't help but think about Ichiru. Did he give up on me and leave? I wonder if he ever wants to see me again. It's okay if he doesn't. I'll be fine with it.

--

Class was over at last. The sun was rising, bringing light rays to the darkness. Even as I stepped outside the building, the sun shone on me weakly. Despite retreating into the shadows to protect myself, I still liked its warmth, and the way it fed itself into me. Maybe it had something to do with my light power.

"I see you have gotten to know Seiren a bit," a voice said behind me. Whirling around, I saw Kaname standing there, alone.

"Why is she your bodyguard?" I asked him. It didn't seem right. Seiren was quiet and all, and devoted to Kaname, but Ruka, Hanabusa, Akatsuki even would have defended him with their lives.

"She's quiet," was all he said. "That's not what I wanted to talk to you about."

"What did you want to talk to me about?" Please don't tell me it was another command.

"The holidays are coming up," Kaname began. "And I have my plans in place. I can only ask that you stay behind at the academy during the holidays, to watch over it."

"I have to go see my mum," I began uselessly, even though my heart knew that I probably wasn't really going to see her anytime soon.

"Then I will give you a couple of days to see her," Kaname replied easily. "But I want you to come back to the academy after."

"Why? What am I meant to watch over the academy for?" I guess we were back to the old days, where Kaname would just look at me, give me the order, and I would be the puppet, while he pulled the strings. 

"Yuki is going to need help," Kaname replied. "And you will need time with Ichiru."

"But you have Seiren," I protested. "Look at me, I can't control my powers, I can't even fight, unless you want me to destroy the school."

"There are other jobs for Seiren to do," Kaname replied. "She can't be in two places at once unfortunately."

You're mean.

So mean.

"Very well," I gave in finally. "I'll do it, only because I have no choice."

"Thank you."