37# One-shot: Sterilized

They're in their twenty's. Mike and El are engaged.

Mike's POV:

"I just can't do this anymore!" El screams.

El throws her clothes down in her suitcase. I don't know what's going on. She came home and started screaming at me and told me that she was done. That she's breaking up with me.

"Why?! What's going on El?" I ask her blocking the door to the bathroom. She pushes me away with her powers gently so that she can walk into the bathroom.

"I just don't love you anymore Mike! I feel trapped. We've been dating since we were thirteen! I want to try something new." El says grabbing her stuff from the bathroom.

I freeze.

I had this talk with the gang at one point. Before I proposed to El, I had shown them the ring. They told me they fully supported me, and that El would say yes. Max started talking about how it was incredible how long El and I have been together. And how incredible that we weren't tired of each other.

Max and Lucas broke up but got together again at eighteen, they had been dating other people after they broke up. I reassured them that I could never get tired of her or try having a relationship with anyone else. I guess I didn't consider if El felt the same way.

I stood there until El was done packing. El stood in front of me and dried the tears off my cheeks. She took my hand in hers and kissed me softly before walking out of our apartment. I look down at my hand, and I see the engagement ring starring back at me.

I sink down to the floor and start crying hysterically.

El...

***

"Mike get up! I know you're sad but you can't just lay there." Lucas yells at me.

I bury my head in my pillow and continue crying. It's been two weeks since El left me. None of the guys have talked to her even though I have told them they should, they're her friends as well. Max is the only one who has gone to see her.

"I can and I will." I tell him, my voice cracks.

Lucas rips my duvet away from my body and pulls me up to sit. Lucas gives me a glass of water and I accept it. I drink the whole glass in one gulp.

"Mike... I wish there was anything I could do to make it all better," Lucas says sitting down next to me. I sigh and stare at the picture of El and I hanging on the wall. It's a picture from when we went to the Snowball.

Suddenly the door opens and Max steps in looking pissed.

"Look Mike, something happened to El that caused her to break up with you. It had nothing to do with you. I know what is going on, but you need to think long and hard about where El was before she came home." Max says to me.

Where she was before she came home?

"She went to the doctors, I don't know why."

"Well maybe something happened at the doctor?" Max says like I'm a complete idiot. "She's at Hopper and Joyce's. You should really speak with her."

I look down at my hands before standing up. If there's a chance that I can get back together with El, I will take it.

***

I knock on the front door and Hopper opens.

"Damn. It definitely took some time before you came here. I guess Joyce won that bet. If you had just come yesterday I would have won kid."

I stand there looking a him with wide eyes and he let's me come in. "She's in her old bedroom."

I walk down the familiar hall and over to El's bedroom door, with the colored butterflies on. I knock on the door and El says come in.

I walk in and when El sees me her eyes sparkles a bit. I slowly walk over to her and sit down next to her. There's silence between us for a while.

"What happened El?" I ask her softly.

El breaks down sobbing and I hug her close to me.

"You know we've tried to get pregnant... and I went to the doctor because I wanted to know why we hadn't succeed yet." El says, never looking at me.

"Mike... the people at the lab sterilized me. I can't have children. I know how much you want children, and I can't give you that. You deserve someone who isn't damaged like me."

I didn't say anything for a while, and that made El sob more.

"I don't care."

El finally looks at me. "What?"

"I don't care. El, I love you so much, I don't care that you can't have children. Of course I want to have children, but we can always adopt. All I need in my life is you! I literally can't function without you. Do you know what happens every time I'm without you? I get so sad and I miss you, but I always get happy again, because I remember that we live together and that I would get to see you soon. These past two weeks was nearly as awful as when you disappeared when we were twelve." I tell her.

"Please El, come home."

El nods her head kisses me. I kiss her back holding close to me.

"Promise to never leave me again," I whisper.

"I promise."

I slide the engagement ring back on her finger.

I kiss her again.

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-

Hey guys!

Did you like this one-shot?

My exam (biology, physics and geography mixed into one test) went great. I got 7 (I don't know what that is on the American scale. I tried looking it up, but I couldn't figure out). It's basically above average.

Now I just have all the other exams.

I saw Infinity War two days ago! It was amazing, I'm still pissed though.

See you net Saturday.

Stay strange!

Bookstgram: annika_book_lover