A SHOW OF MOFO ARMS

You stared up at the Black Lion, eyes half lidded.

"Well, looks like it's just you and me," you said, looking around. Your agreement to pilot the Black Lion if Keith wasn't there is coming back to bite you in the ass. Keith wasn't there. You couldn't blame him, he had a mission, and he made a commitment. "Let's just get this over with." You sighed as the lion eye's lit up.

~
"Citizens of Reiphod, on this day we honor you for you perseverance. Your refusal to bow down in the face of such adversity is a testament to the fighting spirit of your people."
You sighed, listening to Coran speaking.

"Are you nervous, Y/n?" Allura asked, hearing you.

"A little," you replied.

"No problem, just give the crowd the ol' razzle dazzle and you're fine," Lance said, excitement in his voice. You snorted.

"I don't know Lance, you're proving to be some major competition. You're the ultimate razzle dazzler," you replied humorously. Lance didn't reply for a few minutes. "You okay?" You only got a weird gurgle in reply.

"—that began with the reemergence of the five Lions of Voltron."

"Let's go!!" Lance exclaimed as all of you flew out from behind the castle. You looked down at the crowd of aliens.

"That's... a lot more than I expected," you murmured. Piloting the Black Lion... was a new experience for you. The controls were different, but similar. You let out a sigh as you continued to do your lion dance. Soon, holographic targets appeared and they all shot at it with their laser beams.

"By joining the Voltron Alliance, you are joining up with the Defenders of the Universe, who will do whatever it takes to spread peace and freedom to every galaxy," Coran's voice said. You let out another sigh. Usually you'd be hype as hell doing something like this, but something was off. You didn't know what. Part of the routine was that you form Voltron and impress the crowd, but you knew from the get go that you wouldn't. You're not in sync. You don't want to do this.

~
The show of arms did end nicely. It wasn't as bad as you thought it would be. Voltron wasn't formed, but that didn't surprise anyone. They also knew you didn't want to pilot Black. So now you were back in the Castle of Lions walking back towards your room. You turned the corner to go back down the hall, but stopped.

"Keith?" You called out. He opened his eyes and saw you on the other end of the hallway.

"Y/n..." He greeted back, but it was quiet. You began to walk towards him.

"You're back," you said, stopping in front of him.

"Yeah. I heard you flew the Black Lion in my place," he replied. You nodded and placed your hands in your pockets.

"Well, yeah, I said I would if you weren't there," you said with a shrug. Keith looked down to the ground.

"... I think you should lead Voltron.".

"I know, Keith, but I've already decided not to lead the team," you replied.

"Who else is there to do it? Everyone already hates me for not being there," Keith said, looking over to the side. You sighed and combed your fingers through your hair.

"They don't hate you, Keith," you replied, "Besides, even if I do become the leader, Voltron won't form for me. Even if I force myself to do it, there won't be the synchronization there was before. Voltron could very well tear apart because of me. I'm better off staying as I was before Shiro disappeared."

"The team needs you, Y/n. They need someone who's attention isn't divided," Keith argued.

"They also need you Keith."