18| Famous

Anthony

As August starts to come to a close I find myself trying to get away for a little. Being a professional athlete has its ups and downs, and the ups are far more than the downs. But there's still a point where you just want to be another guy in the crowd, I'm human like everyone else and I need time to slow down and think for a while. Just not have to be anywhere or do anything for someone. And while the Cubs aren't the biggest thing in sports, they're famous for losing for so long after all, within the city I'm one of the bigger baseball figures. What I do for the children's hospital doesn't go unnoticed and I just signed a big contract to stay here for a long long time. I'm gonna be here through the good times and  I've been here during the bad times too.

But I was lucky to be stuck in such an incredible city like Chicago. There was plenty of places to get away at, and my favorite was the beach. Sure it's nothing like Florida, but it's pretty cool that there's a major city filled with sports and landmarks and a beach too. So I grab Kelsey and we find a spot away from all the chaos at the other end of the beach. There was no bar and no beach volleyball. Just the waves crashing against the sand and the sun beating down on us. We spent a hour or two in water but now we were out on the side just watching life pass us by.

"What's it like to be famous" Kelsey asks me as we sit on our blanket. Our food in a picnic basket sitting next to me and she was on my other side as we let the sun melt the pressures away.

"I'm not famous" I claim and she turns to me. She gives me one of those "why bother lying" faces I know all too well.

"You are the most popular guy on a team that's been around since the beginning of time. You're handsome and funny and good at baseball, people love you both near and far. We had to come all the way out here to get some peace from people recognizing you. You're famous" she accuses.

"I'm just... popular" I try.

"No" she says and I smile.

"Alright fine, you're right. I just... don't like looking at it that way" I insist.

"Perspective doesn't change facts" she reminds me.

"You know, sometimes it sucks that you're so smart. And it sucks that I'm not" I shake my head.

"You're very smart, I don't want to hear you talk about yourself like that ever again" she demands.

"But it's true" I try.

"I don't know what you read or who you're taking to who lets you think that you're not smart. You are brilliant beyond comprehension. You've been through so much, the cancer, being drafted out of high school, going up and down from the minors to the majors, and you're telling me you didn't learn anything from any of that? You're telling me you've been walking through this life with your head stuck so far in the clouds that you can't hear anyone else?

Because I don't believe that. I don't believe that all these people follow you and believe in you because they think you're stupid. You might not know how many constellations are in the sky or how many galaxy's there are in the known universe, but that doesn't make me smarter than you. I couldn't tell you the difference between a cutter and slider and I don't know how many teams are in the league.

We all know different things, that's not why makes someone smart and someone not so smart. Knowledge is limitless, you're only stupid when you stop learning" she assures me.

"Where have you been all my life" I ask honestly and she just smiles.

"Somewhere between one star and the next" she explains.

"Well I'm happy you ended up here on earth with me. I know it hasn't even been four months, but it feels like forever I've been loving you. Learning from you" I admit.

"We got pretty lucky to have each other, huh" she asks.

"Yeah, I think we did" I agree.

"You know, you never answered my question" she reminds me.

"I love being famous. I love knowing that I can make a difference in someone's life. I love that people say that one day they want to be like me. It's pretty cool. I just wish this whole baseball thing was going a little bit better" I chuckle. Even when you're expected to lose, it still sucks when you do.

"I don't think losing is sustainable just as winning isn't. You're a great ball player, and in time other great players will join you too. It's been 107 years, I think you guys are long over due for a championship" she insists.

"I don't think that'll be happening any time soon. Theo is still trying to get the right guys in here from the bottom to the top. That's going to be a while before the results come" I say.

"Then in the mean time enjoy the ride, build something so that when you do win you'll be fulfilled. There will be no buts or ifs. You can be up on the podium knowing that you're the best person you could possibly be, and not just for the season you won but all the seasons before that and all the seasons after it" she says.

"I'm serious... you should be a governor or something" I insist.

"I'm not even a documented citizen right now" she reminds me.

"This is a better place with you and your family here. You don't need documentation to touch peoples lives" I insist.

"I know. I'm the one who taught you that" she giggles.

"Well it looks like I'm learning from the best" I smile.

After hanging out on the beach for a little while longer we head back to the water. After we get used to the cooler temperatures we go further and further in until Kelsey could barley stay above water. So she climbs on my back and I hold her up so she doesn't drown. For the first time since I started playing ball competitively I felt free. I didn't feel famous with her around, that's why I was so confused by her question earlier. To her I'm a loud and sarcastic idiot who's heart is louder than his head. And to her, that's enough.