82| I Swear

Anthony

As we do every once in a few months it comes time for the laugh off for cancer event. I know for a fact that this one is going to be better than last years because we got guys like David Ross and Jon Lester and Dexter Fowler on the mic. That and my dad won't accuse my girlfriend who was born and raised in Chicago a illegal immigrant and suggest I drop her like a hot coffee mug.

As for tonight the guys were getting together to help me raise money for the children's hospital here in Chicago. I'm lucky enough to be able to be partnered with people who care so much about the kids and getting them healthy again. Kelsey and I visit as much as we can. We try to go once a week and sometimes twice if I'm in town for more than three or four days at a time. They treat us like family there and we get to hang out with the kids and give them something to smile about. We can do just about everything except for cure them. But we were working on that too.

So I get changed into something nice and after making Kelsey take a million pictures with me it was time to head over to the civic center. We get there and meet with my parents to get set up. Kelsey and I set out shirts and goodie bags while my parents set up check in and donations.

"You're really growing" my mom says to Kelsey as she joins us. I try to not make it obvious I was listening into their conversation but after the mishap last year I kinda had to.

"Thank you! I feel like I'm already a mom because I gotta keep up with Anthony over there" she says pointing to me and I laugh. I had to laugh because it was true.

"I know how that goes" my mom agrees making me scoff. "Oh come on. You are literally always doing something trying to help someone. Trying to be with friends or make memories. It's not a bad thing, just exhausting" she defends.

"And I love every second of it" Kelsey assures me. "Though I'm not sure how much longer I can keep up with you" she claims as she sets her hand on her belly. She was getting so big and I loved it. It means we were getting that much closer to meeting our little princess.

"That's okay. I'm sure we will both be on hold for a while we figure out how to take care of a child" I assure her.

"Ain't that the truth" my mom laughs.

Once we were all set up and the food was out people start to fill in. These events weren't exclusive, anyone can get in and we want to include as many people as we can. So we fill up the room and eventually it was full. So I grab Kelsey and my family and step up to the mic. I grab everyone's attention and it gets quiet.

"Hello everyone" I start. "I just wanted to say thank you for coming out tonight, this means a lot to me and my family. I'm hoping we're all going to have a good time and a lot of laughs. Just don't forget who this is all for and keep the kids in your prayers."

We get the event kicked off and it was a lot of fun. I laughed a lot and a lot of the guys were preparing for this moment this whole season. A chance to make fun of me and get kid for it, every mans dream. But I take it all because I love the guys and I love the people we do this for. I couldn't wait to see the look on a families face when I tell them we are paying for treatment or can bring them out to a game. Those are the moments that I live for.

Eventually the event ends and I couldn't keep the smile off my face. I had the DJ a playlist and have him play music as people stuck around to dance and ask about the people we do this for.

At one point the songs change and I smile really big. I find Kelsey taking to some of the donors and I grab her hand. I pull her to the side before taking her arms and wrapping them around my neck. I rest my hands on her waist and the only thing between us is her baby belly. She just shakes her head because of course I'm making her dance with me to this song. It was one of our favorites after all and I put it in this playlist for a reason. I wanted every chance I had to dance with her and this song was it.

"I swear by the moon and the stars in the sky
And I swear like the shadow that's by your side

I see the questions in your eyes
I know what's weighing on your mind
You can be sure I know my heart

'Cause I'll stand beside you through the years
You'll only cry those happy tears
And though I make mistakes
I'll never break your heart

And I swear by the moon and the stars in the sky
I'll be there
I swear like a shadow that's by your side
I'll be there
For better or worse, till death do us part
I'll love you with every beat of my heart
And I swear

I'll give you every thing I can
I'll build your dreams with these two hands
We'll hang some memories on the walls

And when just the two of us are there
You won't have to ask if I still care
'Cause as the time turns the page, my love won't age at all

And I swear by the moon and the stars in the sky (I'll be there)
I swear (and I swear) like the shadow that's by your side
I'll be there (I'll be there)
For better or worse, till death do us part
I'll love you with every beat of my heart
And I swear

I swear (I swear) by the moon and stars in the sky
I'll be there
I swear like the shadow that's by your side
I'll be there
For better or worse, till death do us part
I'll love you with every (single) beat of my heart
I swear, I swear, oh, I, swear."

I place a soft kiss on her lips and she quickly depends it. I hear people start to clap so we break apart to shut them up. But I keep her in my arms as I smile at her. How lucky am I to be so loved and so in love?