Chapter 36 - Back to the norm

A new day has arrived and Clem and I are going with Pete and Nick in the woods. Well Nick got left behind.

Pete: How you two holding up? I heard you got an earful from Rebecca last night. Once she gets going there's no bringing her back. Her bark's worse than her bite.

Clem: What's her problem?

Pete: Well, she's got a lot on her mind lately. Bringing a baby into a world like this?

You: It makes life a lot harder.

Pete: Exactly.

Clem: How far are these fish traps?

Pete: It ain't much further.

Clem takes a look at Petes' rifle and then locks eyes with him.

Pete: Anyone teach you guys how to shoot? By that I mean taught proper. Any idiot with a finger can shoot.

Clem: The people we were with a long time ago taught us.

Pete: That's good, it's important nowadays.

You: We still can't use the rifle though.

Pete: That sounds about right, this thing would knock ya on your ass.

Pete stops walking.

Pete: Nick was about your age first time I took him huntin'. Came across this beautiful 13-point buck just standing there on the ridgeline. The boy takes the rifle...lines up the shot just like I taught him...then I hear him start whining. He turns to me and says" I can't do it. I can't shoot it, uncle Pete, please don't make me shoot it".

You: Really?

Then out of the woods came the cry baby.

Nick: Hey! Why didn't you wait?

Pete: You want us to stand around while you pass on a tree. You know where the river is boy.

Pete turns around and we continue walking.

Pete: Anyway, so I go to grab the gun out his hand before this big buck runs off when BANG! The gun fires. Boy nearly gut shot me. And of course the buck gets away.

Nick: What are you going and telling them this shit for?

Pete: Cause I got a feeling you were about to blow her head off yesterday. Just wanted to let them know it's nothing personal with you.

Nick: Why are you always giving me a hard time?

Pete: Because you're always giving everybody else a hard time.

Nick: I apologized already, they accepted.

Pete: Well okay then, I didn't know that.

Clem: It's fine Pete.

You: Yeah he really did apologize.

Nick: You're always trying to embarrass me.

Pete: You're doing a good enough job of that on your own.

Nick pushes past Pete and storms off.

Pete: Leaving us again.

Nick: I know where the fucking river is!

Pete kept taping about the buck and I couldn't be asked. I started thinking about random things while Pete and Clem kept talking when all of sudden Nick shouts.

Nick: UNCLE PETE!!

The three of us run over to him and come across a horrific sight. Bodies laying on the ground, blood all over the places ad multiple bullet holes.