Trei

The tailor was a tall Fae. His head nearly struck the ceiling as he paced around Trei, sniffing and gagging. He poked, and prodded. The man produced instruments, some sharp, and pushed them against him, measuring.

At length the Fae leaned down, face to face, "I am convinced. You're a dead corpse of an infection that has spread throughout the mortal realm."

Trei looked up at the man. He'd seen enough faces like this. People who looked down on him, just because of who he was. Because he was unremarkable. Unskilled. He'd tolerated it his entire life, learned to live with their burning hatred and weakness.

"So you have a challenge, then." Trei said, mouth curling into a smile.

The tailor pulled back in revulsion, "Please, spare me the breath of a dead man."

The man paced some more, but Trei could tell he'd piqued the man's interest. Challenged him to turn something he reviled and hated into something beautiful, worthy of being admired.

"I am uncertain, corpse, if I can do anything for you. The wedding is traditional. There can be no question on that front. Yet, your flesh is burned, and some of it is rotting. How the Council expects to bind the Lady to a form like you... It offends me." The Fae sniffed, and immediately regretted it.

"Why?" Trei shrugged, and the Fae started, staring at him, "I beg your pardon?"

He smiled, "Well, tradition suits our fair lady, true enough... But she has chosen to bind herself to a mortal. As I understand it, there is no precedent for this."

The tailor sighed, "Not... Entirely true, little ghoul. Others have in the past. Their souls were extinguished for committing such an act."

Trei felt a wave of nausea at the thought. The death sentence. So now... All the Fae would hate him. For tainting their fair lady. This marriage might be forced on them, but it would undermine Summer in the eyes of... Everyone.

The tailor shrugged, "You are correct though, in a way. The marriage is... Different. The ceremony will be public and attended by all. We won't be hiding you away... No. Your differences make you unique... I am uncertain how to begin. If I accentuate your humanity, I risk causing a riot. If I pretend you're Fae, you may well be murdered before you can take your vow to the Lady, and that places her at risk. If I show your death... Well, that is simply poor taste."

Trei shrugged, sitting down slowly in a chair, "You're the second Fae I've ever met, sir. I don't know your people, or culture. All I know is Summer's kindness."

The Fae's eyes bulged, "I... I understand the Lady may accept that behaviour from you, sir... But for my own sensibilities, will you please not refer to the Lady by her name."

Trei felt his stomach twist into knots. Nobility. She wasn't just nobility. She was above everyone, wasn't she? Some sort of aristocracy. People too afraid to speak her name. And here he was... Soiling her name. Turning the people against her.

"Sorry." Trei said sadly, looking down, "I never meant for any of this to happen."

The tailor paused, "Sir?"

"I was dead." Trei shrugged, "Gone. Tossed into the common pit to burn and be forgotten."

The tailor shuffled his feet uncomfortably, "You feel guilt. Did you not ask to bind the Lady's soul?"

"No." Trei replied, "The Council demanded it."

The tailor dropped onto one knee, bowing his head, "I have misjudged you, sir. There is only one reason they would accept you, and there is only one reason they would place this weight upon the Lady. You are not at fault, mortal."

Trei frowned, "The Lady hasn't told me why. I don't think she wants me to know."

The tailor smiled sadly, "It is certainly not my place to tell you. I think... I would find it difficult to tell you, were I in the place of the Lady, as ridiculous as it is to suppose the mind of such a great woman. I will do my best, to show you as something more. Something the people should respect."

The man stood, looking at Trei with consideration, "The traditional is out. So is the human costume. No... I think I have something. Have you ever worn a uniform?"

Trei shrugged, "I was a blacksmith's apprentice. The only uniform I've had is an apron."

"It takes practice, to wear a uniform correctly." The tailor mused, "I'll have a tutor instruct you, with some... Prototypes. It will take me time and several attempts to rework the traditional soldier's uniform of the Fae to better suit you. It will present you as our Lady's servant and protector. That may be suitable for the common folk."

Trei blinked in surprise, "That sounds... Good. When... The normal vow a human gives to his bride... We swear to protect them for the rest of their days."

The tailor smiled, "Yes. That is a theme I would posit you should present to our Lady. It may work quite well."