Alphege

The elf froze, mid-thrust of her spear.

Her heart broke. A tear ran down her cheek slowly as an arrow slammed into her chest, knocking her off her feet. She barely saw anything as the knights rushed to kill her.

She stood up slowly, knocking them back with waves of magic that tore the flesh from their bones, leaving them as little more than gristly puddles on the ground. She moved slowly, using the spear to steady her as she walked.

She was in shock, struggling more to breathe from the surprise than the arrow that had failed to pierce her ribcage.

She didn't understand how it was possible.

There was a fully-fledged army here, and nobody could be everywhere, but this was Trei. He was stronger than her. Faster than her. He could obliterate any opponent without trying.

Alphege felt her chest shake as she struggled to keep the flood of tears back as she walked through the red mist as her enemies dissolved around her. She was using too much magic, and knew she was going to burn out, but right now she didn't care.

All she cared about was getting to Trei.

She walked through the red mist, looking on as the paladin slowly lowered him to the ground, as if he were committing some mercy. As if he hadn't just killed someone who never asked for any of this. Who had never tried to cause harm to anyone.

"Algar ane anwrk!" Alphege growled angrily, the spear in her hand waking up. She stabbed it into the ground, and the ground rippled into life, knocking back the army, isolating the paladin in front of her.

She stepped towards him slowly, as he turned to her, preparing for battle.

He was fast. The blade cut a strand of her hair as she side-stepped the attack. She pirouetted on the soil, delivering a blow to his back that shattered the armour, but left the man intact.

He turned to her, tossing aside his dented helmet, and glaring. He was handsome, but scarred. He was covered in sweat and blood. Alphege stepped forward, ignoring his attempt to hit her and tore the padded sweatshirt off, tossing it aside. She flicked the centre of his chest.

The paladin fell backwards to the ground, groaning as he hit hard enough to shake the earth. He pushed himself upright, swinging a knife towards her. Alphege raised an eyebrow as the blade lodged in her shoulder, and grabbed his hand. She broke the bones beneath her fingers, forcing the knuckles through themselves.

"After stabbing me, what was the plan, mortal?" She asked, looking at his with disdain, "Did you expect to fight me as an equal? I may not be able to wipe out your army in a single blow. But I will wipe out your army."

The paladin tried to headbutt her.

She let him.

He fell to his knees, one arm dangling in the air. Alphege sneered and snapped her knee upwards.

The neck cracked sickeningly. She let go of the broken hand, letting the shell fall to the ground. The mortal was dead. He had paid the price for killing the one she loved.

It wasn't satisfying. The fight had been a disappointment. How had Trei succumbed to this pathetic creature? Had he truly let his guard down so easily?

Trei was still gone.

Alphege wept, as around her the mortals died.