Azrael

Azrael crawled through the tunnel, elbows scraping against the rough stone. He paused, looking at the feet of the soldier ahead of him, "What's the hold up?"

"We've reached the barrier, sir." He heard the soldier reply carefully, trying not to breathe in the dust.

The paladin winced. The barrier extended beneath the ground. Deep beneath. Which meant that the barrier wasn't a wall, but a sphere. A sealed unit. An infernal construction that may not actually be capable of being destroyed from the outside, relying on a core of magical energy at the centre. Probably stored energy, considering how Vastras had been running the show so far.

Stored magic. Useful, and can be extremely overpowered when the energy utilised had been stored over many years, accumulating to the point where it could exceed the caster's abilities. However, not without weakness.

He placed a fist against the ground, pushing against the unyielding earth. This would be a dangerous spell, risking a cave in. There was nothing stronger than the earth's desire to return to itself, all it required was something to give that will substance and then the earth would throw its full strength against the barrier. Unfortunately, the earth around him would also move... But he needed to be this close for it to work.

"Tunnellers, prepare for a collapse." He ordered, waiting as he heard the order carry backwards, and the man in front of him tensed.

He touched his foot gently, "This will be on you. The barrier collapse, and you need to break through in front of you. There's only about a foot of dirt above our heads. Break through, and then reach down and grab me."

He turned his attention back to the dirt resisting his fist as he pushed against it. A timeless magic, born from when the world had first been given form. All mass was attracted to itself, drawing itself together. The world was a great mass, constantly drawn inwards, constantly fighting for every inch, drawn inwards by a force so great it had been given its own name.

Vastras was the one who had taught him the magic of controlling gravity, so long ago. She stored it, keeping it in one of her many gemstones. The queen had often used it as a weapon against those who got in her way. A way of reminding them that she was more powerful than them, that she was unrivalled amongst all of humanity. It was a cheap trick. Manipulating gravity was a simple magic. Simple, and cheap.

"Awaken, quicken. Arise and breathe. My thoughts give form, and my soul gives flesh. My will gives fire, and my breath gives air. Bound by the elements, blessed by the goddess, exhale." He whispered fervently, sweat slowly appearing on his forehead.

There was a crushing roar as the soil around him collapsed.