Astrian

Astrian kept her outwards appearance cold, calm and in control as she looked at the ghoul sitting in the garden. Inside, she was anything but. Even now, when he was silent, unmoving, something inside her purred like a hungry cat. Craving his attention, his touch. She wanted to fall at his feet, and beg him to look at her. She fought the impulse. This did not belong to her. It was a curse, handed down by the Fates. He belonged to her mistress, not to her.

That thought sparked all sorts of violent ideas.

The butler sighed, examining his progress, trying to focus on her work. She was surprised. "Sir, you appear to have mastered this first step far faster than I anticipated. Perhaps I should teach you a more advanced technique."

Trei opened his eyes, and looked at his hands, at the fading scars where this morning his skin had been blistered and rotting. "It almost feels like rediscovery, as if I've done this before."

Astrian smiled wryly, "In a way, sir, you have. This is a subconscious process that all creatures do at some level. Directing cells to repair the structures that comprise our physical shells. As a ghoul, all that is different is that the energy to form the process must be obtained from an external force."

Trei looked at the grass around him, dying. He seemed sad. Astrian fought herself to stop from showing any emotion. That brief look of pain on his face made her wish to burst into tears, to hug and hold him, and reassure him. She didn't, though. She had a duty. If he was to live, then sacrifice was necessary, even if that sacrifice was her own eternal happiness. That was her duty, her sworn vow of a dozen lifetimes. She was the servant of her Queen, and no other.

"We all consume, at some level, sir." Astrian said slowly, walking over to a tree and plucking a leaf, "If I consume this, it will grant me energy, but it will die. If I do not consume it, it will still die, and the energy will flow into the ground instead. There is endless cycle of living magic that flows through this world. You died, and rejoined this stream. When you were dragged out of it, an imbalance was created. It will take time, for you and the world, but that balance will be rectified."

Trei sighed, leaning back, unknowingly revealing the muscles in his arms, the muscles of a blacksmith's apprentice. "Natural imbalances are usually rectified by storms, aren't they? Educate me, Astrian. What does a magical re-balance look like?"

She hid her smile. He was cute when he tried to assert himself, like a puppy dog growling and protecting a mace-wielding owner from a small rat. "Failure, to put it simply, sir. Alchemical experiments will have a higher rate of failure. Magical rebounds from broken spells will be more common, and more violent. You are hardly the first being to be resurrected, sir. Surely you have noticed seasons where magic is less effective? That these cycles come and go, and seem unrelated to natural phenomena?"

"Magic is uncommon in my world." Trei shrugged, looking at her with those intense soulless eyes of his, "I just did busy work at the forge. Now and then I guess some rune blades didn't work as well as normal... But I usually took the blame for that, and I didn't see anything wrong with it. I was never the best. I made the cheap stuff, the best was made by my master."

Astrian nodded slowly, "Apologies, sir. Magic is as common as breathing here. It is difficult to picture a world where not everyone has learned the skill."

"Not every mortal can, as far as I'm aware." Trei laughed softly, and Astrian swallowed, fighting the nervousness that suddenly seemed to catch her breathing, making her aware of her every movement and thought. "Sir, I'm afraid I must correct you. Magic is a skill like any other. All mortals are capable of it. I would suggest that those who are born with talent are the only ones who discover it... But..."

She hesitated, kicking herself for insulting him. She wasn't sure if she should tell him. Summer would probably be angry. The Lady would likely wish to teach him herself, or to protect him from it altogether. Knowing magic came with risks. It broadcast you to every other magic user. He could become a target, and without the skill that most Fae had, he would be in constant danger.

Trei sighed, "Summer. That's what you're thinking, aren't you? Wondering if she'd want me to know. I can't answer it... But I doubt it. So, thankyou for the offer, Astrian, but I'll stick to learning to repair myself."

The way her name tumbled so casually from his mouth when it struck against her mind like a thunderclap was distracting. It took her a moment to understand, and she shook her head, "Sir, you are... Incorrect in an assumption you have made. I apologise, but I must correct it. When you heal yourself, through this meditation... You are performing magic. Not Gaia, though alike to it in some ways. It is a magic I do not fully understand, and I do believe that among the Fae only two have truly mastered it. One by birthright, and the other through a lifetime of study."

Trei looked at his hands and sighed, "Necromancy. Isn't it?"

"Confidence." She snapped quickly, trying to act the teacher, "You are, of course, correct. One of the benefits of necromancy you may not be aware of, sir, is that no magic user who has not mastered it can detect its usage. Thus, it is safe for you to learn and use. The Lady would likely wish to protect you from other magic, as it would attract attention from the Fae, and we have all mastered our magics over multiple lifetimes."

Trei laughed and stood up, stretching, "Best not to attract attention. So, Astrian. What is next?"

Her heart fluttered as she looked at him. His mangled face was nearly gone, revealing a ruggedly handsome face pitted with scar tissue. His eyes were empty and soulless, but as intense as the sun. His hair hung loosely, messy and tangled. He held himself easily, but every sinew in his body was honed. She felt a craving to stand beside him, and trace her fingers against the rigid muscles that formed his biceps.

"Astrian?" He asked in confusion, and she realised she was staring. She looked away, feeling her cheeks redden, "Perhaps I should summon someone to assist you. Do you know what a traditional Fae wedding looks like, sir?"

Trei walked over as she could see him, looking at her with concern, "I'm sorry if I offended you, Astrian."

Idiot. Stupid little ghoulish idiot. She wasn't insulted, she was embarrassed. But she couldn't tell him that his voice made her go weak at the knees. Couldn't tell him that there were others, bound to him by fate. That he was now the central player in a game that would rock the foundations of Faen society. That civil war might well break out because of him.

"I am not offended, sir." Astrian said coolly, "You will have to perform certain functions, sir. It would be best if you could be guided through them, such as by the priest who will bless the union as you declare an undying vow of allegiance to the Lady Summer."

"Priest?" Trei asked in surprise, "I thought... Fae don't worship the gods, do they?"

"Assert yourself." Astrian cautioned him, "The priest's function is different. They do not act as intermediary to the gods. Rather, they act as arbiters on behalf of our queen. A priest will be present, and will be performing the Right, as a representation that the government has approved of your marriage."

Trei shrugged, "So it is more of a legal function then. We have that too. People who go and get married by city leaders. But there isn't normally a ceremony when they do that."

"The ceremony is extensive." Astrian replied, "You will have various roles you must perform flawlessly. I cannot educate you in all of them."

Trei clearly wasn't buying her excuse. She could see it in his body language, and in his lifeless eyes. "Why are you trying to run away?"

Astrian flinched as if she'd been hit.