Alphege

Alphege opened her eyes tiredly, feeling the grass pushed up against her face. A gentle hand was stroking her head slowly.

She rolled over, looking up at him.

She couldn't help but smile, her veneer of calmness vanishing. He really was the only one who could walk into a room and jumpstart all the hearts there. "Trei."

He smiled at her, "Just checking in. You alright?"

She waved to the healing pool, "I was reborn. I'm a new person. I'm not sure if alright is a specific enough term to describe what you did to me. Everything is alright. Almost."

Trei frowned, "Almost?"

Alphege sat up on her knees, leaning on them and looking down.

She knew what she wanted to say.

She didn't know if she could say it though. She whispered quietly, almost hoping that he wouldn't hear it. "From the shores, hidden by ancient mists. Born aloft by an Elfin kiss. Clear the way, and lead you home, to eternal bliss."

Trei frowned slowly, "I recognise the cadence. Sounds like an ancient song."

Alphege nodded nervously, "A promise. Between Lady F'rir, and all elfkind. Once. And once alone. We're..."

Trei lifted up her chin, making her look at him, "You brought me back with a kiss. That was a promise, wasn't it?"

She nodded nervously, "F'rir only did it, because..."

Trei smiled sadly, "Don't. Don't do it to yourself."

"I have to." Alphege winced, "I have to hear you say it, even though I know it. What I want... Is you. To stay here, to stay with me. I'm not the Guardian anymore. I can have a life. We can have a life. Any life we could want to make for ourselves."

"I don't belong here." Trei said sadly, "I can't stay in Eldrassa. I'm a god to your people. A dangerous and unpredictable one at that."

"You're not unpredictable to me." Alphege smiled sadly, "You might be a god, Trei. Or something else. I don't know. I don't care to know. I just know... I have already tried to give my life for yours. I just... I just need you to say it. Tell me there's no hope. Please."

"I'm going to marry Summer." He said without hesitation, like an avalanche crashing down on an inexperienced hiker. He told her there was no hope in unequivocal terms. Would it really have been that big a deal if he'd just... Hesitated? Just a little? Trei was as blind as ever.

Alphege nodded, unable to smile.

"You're coming to the wedding, though."

She looked up at him, "No. No way. I am not watching you marry a rival. Please."

"Already arranged." Trei said awkwardly, "I'm going to be the King of the Fae. First king in quite a while. So I may have suggested to your queen she should send an attendant to witness it. And may have suggested your name."

Alphege ground her teeth together, "Trei!"

He shrugged, "Just because I don't love you doesn't mean I don't want our friendship. Sparring with. Late night talks whilst everyone else gets plastered. I don't want that to disappear. You're one of the few people I can talk to as an equal, Alphege. All the others... I always had Summer's authority or was just another damn human to them. No one saw me as equal. Until you."

She blew her fringe in frustration.

He was an ass.

But a kind one. "Fine. But I'm not wearing a dress. My armour will do."

"Your armour is in the ruins Calis, where you died." Trei said, and she frowned, "I guess I can go get it, then."

"Yeah... The queen has already asked Farr to come see you."

Alphege glared at him, "For crying out loud. You really want to see me in frills that much?"

Trei shrugged, "I guess you can ask him to incorporate steel into his dress design."

The elf rolled her eyes and punched him on the arm, "I'm sure."