Luna

She never wanted any of this. She could feel the walls inside herself that she'd spent lifetimes building beginning to crumble, to give way and reveal the truth of herself. The fragile girl hiding in her sister's shadow, too afraid to speak out, too scared to stand up for herself.

All she wanted for herself was to hide away and be forgotten. She wanted to cocoon herself and disappear into the shadows and darkness of her own mind and heart, to escape from this world and all the dangers that dogged her footsteps. She just wanted to be free. She didn't want to have to stand and fight, she didn't want to be the one who had to act. It fell to her, as it always did.

No one else had the guts to do what was necessary. No one else was willing to take the risk, but unless someone did then all of them would fall.

Why did it always have to come down to her?

Luna felt her fingers digging into elbows as her frustration built as the tears ran down her soft face silently. She could feel herself pushing her own muscles to their limits as she sat there, holding herself, trying to stop crying, trying to stop herself screaming inside her own head.

She just wanted all of this to go away.

To be sitting quietly by the fire, her head on her sister's shoulder, as she stared into the flickering tongues of light. To have him sitting next to them both.

Summer had kissed him.

She hated her sister down to her core for that. She'd claimed him as her own, knowing she was going to die. There was no coming back for her. That was what the kiss had meant. Not some petty victory of one heart over another. It wasn't Summer promising to come back to him... It was a promise that she wouldn't be. She'd taken her only and last selfish reward, knowing that she was going to be torn apart, and die in pain.

Luna sobbed, knowing she'd never see her sister again. The woman who raised her was gone. The one she'd always been able to turn to for help. No more quiet cups of tea in a beautiful garden, a separate paradise from the pace of the world. It was over now.

Summer was never coming back, no matter what any of them did.