Azrael

He sat at the edge of the wooden floor, unstrapping his boots. It felt strange to be back here. It had been a long time since he'd visited the Temple. In fact, he hadn't at all since the goddess had chosen him and elevated him to status of paladin. Not since she had forgiven him for the sins of his past. The sins he wanted to forget, but could never forgive himself for.

He removed the warmers from his feet and placed them neatly with his boots.

"Master." A sister spoke, approaching him slowly. The woman was wearing a long flowing pink garment, and bowed low to the ground.

He smiled weakly and returned the bow, "I am but a child, and you the master."

His old mentor smiled and indicated the shrine at the other end of the long and unfurnished room, "Walk with me. Speak your mind. Let me be your master once more."

Azrael followed stiffly behind the sister, considering. His options weren't as open and plain as he would like them to be. His father might well be targeting him for assassination if dared to show any doubts, and he'd rather not deal with that sort of irritation at a time like this. No. What he really wanted was to sit in the quiet, and let the world pass him by. He wanted to return to the year of silence he'd first spent here.

"Ah." His master spoke slowly, "Yes, silence is preferable. You always did prefer quiet reflection to action, but you have rejoined the world, child. Inaction is for those who do not live. You gave that up, when you took up your new life as servant of the goddess."

Azrael nodded silently.

The sister paused as they got close to the shrine, and indicated it, "I shall leave you with her."

Azrael bowed, and the woman left. He sighed and bowed, head touching the ground, and closed his eyes. He focused them on the goddess. He'd never seen her since she appointed him, nor heard her. The only indication at all of her attention was whether or not she granted him power when he asked for it. Yet, now, he wished she would give him more. He needed guidance. Calis was a city of sinners, and deserved the destruction that might be wrought on it. Yet, not all people were sinners, and the military would not discriminate. They would do nothing but bring harm to innocent lives.

War was not kind. It was not fair. It was always a last resort, and once the war ended the true work began, rebuilding lives destroyed in the madness of mutual destruction.

A hand touched his shoulder lightly, and Azrael sat up slowly, pausing in surprise as he saw a woman in a white silk dress kneeling beside him. Her hair ran across her shoulders and down to the ground where it lay pooled in a strange pink river of threads. Her eyes were a pitch black, that seemed to sparkle in amusement as she saw him. The dress was adorned with a belt, clasped with a golden circle in the centre.

She smiled gently, "Well, the little boy returns."

He bowed, hiding his face from hers, "Goddess."

"Oh, stop it." She said playfully and punched him, "I came to you in this form. The least you could do is appreciate it."

Azrael looked up nervously, and she spread her hands, "What do you think? This physical shell is younger than my last. Is it cute enough?"

"Cute?" He questioned, "I'm afraid if that was the look you were intending, you have not succeeded. Stunning, gorgeous, beautiful. A work of art in human form. These suggestions might fit better."

"Oh, good." She grinned at him, "Now, something on your mind?"

"Calis." He frowned with concern, "My father wishes me to lead an army against them. He says that your temple has backed the attack."

"True enough." She replied, suddenly yawning and lying on her back, looking up at him. "I did, sort of. Not for the reasons your father thinks, nor for the reasons the sisters here might believe it. In fact, I don't care whether Calis is destroyed or not. It isn't the point. My intent is simple enough. For reasons beyond your understanding, I wish to place you in the right place, at the right time. This war will do so. I don't care if it succeeds or fails. It will be your mission, but of higher priority is the greater mission, as always."

"Magic." Azrael winced, "You're sending me to deal with a magical threat of some kind. If I follow my mission, I will encounter it, and feel the need to end it."

Sarin smiled, "See, I knew there was a reason I appointed you my Avatar."

"What is the risk, to the people?"

Sarin sighed, "Oh so concerned, little soldier boy. So concerned for the loss of life. For the innocent souls that will pass cleanly into the next world, where they shall have no regret. Let me set your mind afire. If you fail in the task I have set you, then I will die. My sisters will die. Every celestial will cease to exist."

Azrael looked at her in terror, "Someone is close to recreating the original sin."

"They will exceed it." Sarin smiled tightly, "That much is inevitable. The gods will die. However, there is a chance. A small chance. One I keep alight. A candle shining in the dark depths of storm overhead. Everything threatens to snuff it out. You, boy, will act as my Avatar, and attack the city of Calis. You will purge it. Is that clear enough for you, idiot?"

He smiled sadly and nodded, "Forgive me, goddess."

"You already know the rules for that." She replied, sticking out her tongue, "First, you have to forgive yourself."