Luna

Luna dropped Alphege, stepping back in shock.

Trei rubbed his eyes as he sat up, smiling in surprise at the Faeling in his arms, "Oh. Hey, Astrian."

Luna fell to her knees, unable to speak. She looked sideways at the fallen elf, who had curled into a ball, but still seemed unconscious. She'd done something that Luna didn't understand. Didn't think was possible. Trei had died. His soul was gone. There was nothing left to resurrect.

Trei sighed heavily, looking around, "So. I guess we won, then."

Luna shook her head, trying not to cry. She couldn't say anything. Couldn't tell him what she'd done. Done for nothing. Alphege had brought him back, with a kiss. Made all of her crimes matter. She couldn't tell him what she'd done for him. She'd betrayed his memory in that moment. She couldn't think of him accepting it.

The man sighed heavily, "Well, it's over."

"No." Luna snapped, fighting tears again. And she swallowed, trying to force her emotions down long enough she could speak, "They attacked. They'll attack again."

The elf stretched, and Luna glared in jealousy at the perfectly toned stomach that showed for a moment, and then felt an arm wrap around her stomach. She glanced over her shoulder, seeing a tinge of red hair as the head buried itself in her shoulders, and felt her heart skip. She'd betrayed Claven too. Left her bound to an unforgivable monster. Death would be the kindest sentence that she should serve. She hadn't thought about Claven, again. The woman really would be better off without her. They all would.

"Calis, then." Trei sighed, "I have missed my home. I was hoping I wouldn't be coming back like this."

Alphege sat up slowly, holding her head painfully, "Are we ready for that? After everything we've been through?"

"Leave Vastras to me." Luna said quietly. She could do what was best for everyone. Make the sacrifice again, but this time it would be her own life she'd take, and then the mage would be gone. Trei would be safe. Claven would be alone, but she'd never be forced to know just what depths Luna was willing to go to. Wouldn't be forced to watch the woman she loved, again, make that scale of a mistake.

Trei laughed, "To you, Luna? She killed Summer. She's mine."

"I feel the need to point out a paladin just slew you." Alphege spoke, the formal tones of her speech giving away the lie to Luna. The elf really did care for him. Cared enough to keep him at arm's length. She'd been part of Summer's murder. She wouldn't let herself get close to Trei. She spared him. That's what Luna should have done from the very beginning.

Trei flexed an arm, "And now I'm feeling as good as ever. I got this."

All three glared at him. He sighed heavily, "I dropped my guard. It won't happen again."

Luna sighed, "Calis has to be destroyed. There's no other answer. We never attacked them. She attacked us. We can't leave anywhere for Vastras to hide. No magic for her to grasp. We have to be brutal."

Trei shrugged, "We'll see. Calis was always on the brink of war... The knights here, they aren't from Calis. They're from Ozandia. I'm not saying we won't fight, but I don't think we'll find the city the way I left it. Something has happened there, too."

Luna stood up, shrugging, "We'll do what we have to. Get ready, I'm opening the gate."