Luna

Luna froze, the stripped houseplant falling from her hands. The pot shattered on the ground as she stood there shaking, her eyes open wide. She couldn't move, couldn't breathe. She couldn't understand what she was feeling. It didn't make sense. It couldn't be possible. It wasn't. Somewhere in the background she could hear Astrian screaming.

Her hands curled slowly into fists, as she felt fear chasing a line down her spine, igniting the defences in her. Pushing her to anxiety and to the will to fight. Her energy levels flared, and her wings unfurled slowly. Luna flinched as she felt the brightness of her aura shining off the room. She bared her fangs as the muscles across her body flexed, trying to push her towards a goal, a target. She was trying to resist, trying to understand, but every instinct in her was screaming for war, for death and destruction. Demanding she become that terrible avenger again. To become the woman who had torn Hero limb from limb as the mortal begged to be spared. Begged for her just to end it and kill him. The mortal who had wept as she killed his bloodline, one by one.

She fell onto one knee, a fist striking the ground weakly.

The black dust rippled outwards, and the wood turned to ash and crumbled. The floor gave way, dissolving as it moved towards the walls.

Luna felt a single tear slipping down her cheek as the ash rained down around her, turning her white hair black. She looked up at the empty and dark sky overhead. There was no moon there, not tonight.

She stood up slowly as the ruins of her home faded away, becoming nothing but dust. The black dust that drifts in the air, pulled towards her, surrounding her, empowering her. It swirled around her in a swarm, and she felt the flicker as each speck fed magical power into her. She spread her wings wide, and flexed her hands slowly. She was the Shadow Knight. This was what she was created for. To be the weapon that the Evening Realms required.

"Mistress?"

Luna turned, and through the haze of ash and smoke she saw the Fae staring at her in confusion and fear. She felt a kick to her stomach. She wasn't sure she had the guts to tell Claven to leave again. It was hard enough the first time. And right now...

She shook her head slowly, "I... I told you... To go home."

Claven crossed her arms, "Don't insult me. Speak to me. Am I not Fae?"

Luna ground her fangs together, "I don't time for this, Faeling. Summer is dying. If you don't leave, then I can't protect you. This realm is about to become a battleground. Find safe harbour. Please."

The red-eyed Fae held up a hand, sprinkling a small amount of brilliant red dust in the air, "Our queen is in danger? An attack on one, mistress."

Luna rolled her eyes, "Fine. Follow."